Kansas High Spots

Started by W. Gray, August 05, 2007, 09:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Kfclark in the genealogy category mentioned that people say Kansas is flat.

It is a fact most out-of-state folks seem to look on Kansas as flat. They will swear by it although all they usually see or remember is I-70 over a few hours of driving. Next time someone says that, the below information might help convince them otherwise.

People do not realize they ascend 3,095 feet driving across I-70. Elevation is 825 feet at the east Kansas line to 3,915 feet at the west Kansas line. In reality, Kansas is in the middle of the states when it comes to being flat. A study printed in the Lawrence Journal-World in 2003 places Kansas as the 22nd flattest state in the nation. The flattest is Florida.

The highest point in Kansas is Mount Sunflower at 4,309 feet in Sherman County. The lowest point is along the Verdigris River in Montgomery County at 679 feet.

The highest named point in Elk County is the summit of Osage Cuestas at 1,411 feet, which makes it somewhere around the 50th highest summit in Kansas. According to my topographical application there are adjoining places which are somewhat higher.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

I enjoy your varied and interesting subjects. Keep 'em coming!
Edie

Marcia Moore

Waldo - Where is Osage Cuestas in Elk County?  Is it right across the road east from the Mt. Zion Cemetery?  I have been told several times that that is the highest point in Elk County. 

W. Gray

It is six miles due north of Grenola. There do seem to be spots up to 20 feet higher in the adjacent area but officially the high point is 1,411 feet.

I don't think I have heard of Mt. Zion cemetery in Elk County.

Can you tell me where that is?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

Mt. Zion Cemetery is referred to by many as the North Pole Cemetery.  It is located southwest of Fall River, is in Liberty Township, and is situated in the center of Section 28, Township 28, Range 12E. 
     Does this hill, across the road from the Mt. Zion Cemetery have a name?  What is its elevation?  The Mt. Zion School and the Mt. Zion Cemetery were referred to as the North Pole School and the North Pole Cemetery because the elevation there is so high, making it extremely cold in the winter – said to be the coldest place in the countryside.

Teresa

I thought the top of Green Ranch was the highest spot..
( Is that not in Elk County?)  :-[
I really don't know.. I just always thought it was..
All I know is that if you are at the top ..you can see forever it seems like.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Marcia Moore

Teresa - the Green Ranch is in Elk County.  The Severy postmaster and her husband, Brenda and Rich Coffman, live in the house at the Green Ranch.

kdfrawg

Height is just a relative measure against your surroundings. If you're on the highest spot within fifty miles, it usually looks like the highest spot in the world. As for the flatness of Kansas relative to ther flat things, I commend you to:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/jul/27/holy_hotcakes_study/

W. Gray

The high point directly across the road from the cemetery is at 1176 feet. There is no name shown on the map. The only named high point in Elk County I have seen on a map is Osage Cuestas.

I am using DeLorme Topo 5.0 but 6.0 might or might not have more names.

In comparison to the hill across from the cemetery,  there is a hill southeast of Cave Springs that is at 1201 feet. That may be the highest point in the northeast area.

Just out of curiosity, I went to what I know as Peoples Hill on K-99 just south of the county line. The elevation there is at 1,240 feet.

I am not familiar with the location of Green Ranch but Osage Cuestas is supposed to be within a big ranch in western Elk County.

The Elk County courthouse is at 1,044 feet. My home here in Centennial, Co is at 5,698 feet.

Marcia Moore

Can you send me a link to where you obtained the information on the DeLorme Topo 5.0?  Do you have a legal description for the summit of the Osage Cuestas?  If so, we can identify who the current landowner is.  Also, the hill you called "Peoples" Hill, is called that by most, but its true name was "Peebles" Hill, named after the Peebles family that lived there. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk