Gas prices

Started by W. Gray, August 05, 2007, 07:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I noticed the Elk County home page has gas prices of 2.65 low to 2.99 high.

For some reason Colorado lags with a low of 2.79 and 3.32 high for regular. We have a refinery within 30 miles but that does not help.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

kdfrawg

That's always seemed odd to me, too. Some of the largest refineries in the world are in California and yet it always had the highest prices in the country when I lived there. I guess they wanted to get their money back in Texas before the rest of the country fell in the ocean...

Diane Amberg

We have one refinery about 30 min. from here on the Delaware river. At the moment it is Valero, but has had many names over the years. I know a lot of their employees and even they don't get a discount on their gas. There is a gas station up on a hill overlooking the refinery. They advertise "the freshest gas in Delaware." Not cheaper. Not all gas is the same, there is winter gas and summer gas and all the taxes added in and air standard, and, and, and....  When we get away from here and drive about 45 min. up into Pa, they don't have air quality problems so the price is noticeably lower. When I was in high school, Colonial pipeline laid a huge pipe right along the edge of my parents property. I wondered if we could tap into it! :D :D 

W. Gray

I have not tried to understand the different types of gasoline. I just use 87 octane in accordance with my owners book. My wife's car recommended dosage is 91 octane but thankfully she drives only around 2,000 miles each year.

We have 85 octane gas available here, which is not available at Kansas stations that I know of.

Our winter gas has an additive that I think is called MBE that is supposed to aid the smog situation but may help wear out gaskets, etc.

Denver metro area has a bad smog problem since the air is many times trapped into being stationary by mountain weather, etc.

After a car's fourth year, we have to have a smog inspection done every two years at a state run inspection station to help insure our automobile is not polluting the air. If your car fails, you must have the car serviced and then retested. The cost of $25 is not excessive but many people have to take off work to get to an inspection station which is always busy.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk