Lila's Cafe in Piedmont

Started by Rudy Taylor, July 31, 2007, 06:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatguns

Emptynest, you are so right about Steve and Carmen.  They are good people.  Of course I might be a little biased myself as Steve is my cousin.  But his barbeque is just plain good.

W. Gray

Flo,

I did not think those two women previously operating the Elk Falls Café would last as long as they did. I was in there opening week and believed their menu was just too fancy and not for the clientele. However, I patronized them three times over the time they were open and they were crowded each time.

Barbecue may make it go. Or, Steve may be just holding it for the next café of the month entrepreneur. It is too bad someone could not take that little cafe out of the residential area, move it several blocks to the highway, and enlarge it a little.

I keep hearing that Barry McGuire, a former Hollywood actor, moved to Elk Falls, formed the Friends of Elk Falls Association and "turned the town around," so to speak. It seems to me he created a theater, of sorts, that closed down some time ago.

Does anyone know how or why he choose Elk Falls and what happened to him?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Rudy Taylor

My wife and I so enjoyed the Elk Falls Cafe under its recent ownership.  We live about 45 miles from Elk Falls so it was quite a drive to get there --- well worth the time and gasoline. We already miss it, but we do wish the new owners well.

The previous owners tried their best to raise the bar a bit ... and people from the area responded, but apparently not in sufficient numbers.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Ole Granny

Quote from: W. Gray on August 04, 2007, 08:02:50 AM

I keep hearing that Barry McGuire, a former Hollywood actor, moved to Elk Falls, formed the Friends of Elk Falls Association and "turned the town around," so to speak. It seems to me he created a theater, of sorts, that closed down some time ago.

Does anyone know how or why he choose Elk Falls and what happened to him?

If memory is correct, I believe Barry passed away.  He danced with Debby Reynolds when he was in Hollywood..  Do remember that.  Also started the Elk Falls Garden which was lovely and lots of work.  I had the pleasure of the theater on occassions.  He was a fun experience and always delightfull.  Why he chose Elk Falls?  Don't remember.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

W. Gray

I was able to find that he moved to Elk Falls around 1971. Don't seem to find anything else. There appear to be several entertainer types with the name of Barry McGuire. Did find a Barry McGuire with second billing in a 1971 movie but could not connect him with Elk Falls. Must be an actor's studio listing somewhere.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Rudy Taylor

I recall talking with Barry McGuire many years ago and touring the gardens in Elk Falls. We did a story on him for the Caney Chronicle. He had worked as a character actor in television and local theater. He appeared on several episodes of "Gunsmoke."

He told me many people confused him with another Barry McGuire who was best known for singing the protest song, "The Eve of Destruction" in the early 1960s, and also led the New Christy Minstrels during that era.

But the Elk Falls McGuire was the character, not the singer.  I'm sure local historians in Elk Falls can tell you all about him.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

W. Gray

Barry McGuire does have 1958 and 1959 Gunsmoke credits as well as television credits for

Mary White (1977), which would seem he left Elk Falls to make if he arrived in 1971.

General Electric Theater (1962)

Hennesey (two episodes 1960)

Hotel De  Paree (1960)

Captain Grief (1959)

Perry Mason (1959)

Steve Canyon (1959)

Street of Sinners (1957)

The Silent Service (unknown)

Robert Montgomery Presents (1956)

Studio One (1955)

Kraft Television Theater (1953)

kdfrawg

One wonders what this Barry McGuire looked like. Photos of him have so far eluded me. The singer Barry McGuire I've seen. I may have even met him. He was big in Lincoln when I was in school there. But the actor that was in Gunsmoke, I can't find a photo of.

Of course, sometimes it seems that there is way too little internet detail on people who existed between the nineteenth century and the birth of the Web.

W. Gray

A movie and television database, IMBd, tracks four different men named Barry McGuire.They identify ours as Barry McGuire (I) and they don't have a picture of him either.

Jo McDonald

In defense of Lotus and Jo and The Elk Falls Cafe... they are my brother-in-law, Bill Troutman's nieces and for all the comments that I have heard the food was excellent and definitely Gormet.  My Sister Helen, said it was some the most delicious food that one could wish for and a great selection .  I brought up their web page and read the menu and Teresa and I had planned to meet there and eat lunch some Friday , and the girls closed it, and we never did get to do that.  We are both disappointed that we did not.  I personally don't think you have to have hamburgers to make a go of a eatery.
The girls and Steve are siblings, so the Edwards family is still doing the cooking.  Their parent had the Circle Inn Cafe on the highways years ago, and that passed down through the family as well.  Wonderful, wonderful down to earth people.
Steve and Carmen make Bar-B-Q that melts in your mouth and Carmen does do GOOD  Mexican food.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk