How Does Your Garden Grow?

Started by Diane Amberg, July 27, 2007, 12:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

I don't have Gin's recipe - but the way I always fixed sweet potatoes was to boil them with the skin on-- peel them, cut them in slick slices and mix cream - brown sugar, a little cinnamon and butter and a small amount of white sugar. bring it to a boil and cook it for a while, butter a baking dish - pour some of the mixture in the bottom of the dish - put in the sweet potatoes - pour the rest of the caramel mixture over them and put them in the oven and bake - sometimes, I would put marshmallows over them and bake until they were melted and browned.
I will write to Bill and ask him if he has their recipe - He was a good cook like his "Gin and Mollie"  They were very good friends of mine - loved them both.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Bonnie M.

Jo, that's just the way Mother always fixed "our" sweet potatoes.  We called them "Candied Sweet Potatoes."  And so, now, that's the way I fix sweet potatoes.  We also like them just baked in the micro-wave oven, then peel them,  and put on butter, and I like a little cinnamon on about everything.  Makes me hungry for sweet potatoes! 
Bonnie

Janet Harrington

I just have to do this...

Jo, just how did you get your sweet potatoes slices slick????   :angel: :angel: :angel:

Tobina+1

Man, you guys are HARD on mistakes!  You'd think you were all teachers or something!   I'da beter mak sur i dont' mystipe anthing.   ;)

The BEST way to have sweet potatoes are on the GRILL.  Slice them up in aluminum foil packets (I spell-checked that one), add just a slice of butter, and wrap them up tight (or they'll leak on your grill).  To keep them from sticking, you can spray the foil with veg oil first.  Put them on when you start your grill, and then they'll be ready the same time the steaks are (unless you're cooking rare).  Then use salt and pepper; just like a regular baked potato, only BETTER.   ;D

Wilma

The best way is boiled, mashed and eaten with white gravy.

Judy Harder

For me, anyway is better.........as long as they are sweet taters.........I will eat them.
Do have problem with the ones out of a can..........but if you can't get fresh will do in a pinch.
Hugs and God bless
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

White gravy on sweet potatoes?????  That's a new one to me!

MLW

Marcia Moore

Tim has always loved to eat sweet potatoes (with or without being candied) with round steak and (white) gravy.

Wilma

White gravy in preference to brown gravy.  I prefer them with gravy rather than sugared.  They are sweet enough without adding more.  I usually have them just mashed with plenty of butter.

Janet Harrington

Now, I learnt me something tonight.  I didn't know my mama liked mashed sweet potatoes with white gravy.  Yum yum.  Of course, the white gravy would have to be chicken gravy.

Tobina,

I always wanted to be a teacher.  However; God had other ideas, so I have to pick on people on this forum.  ha ha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk