Where did everybody go???

Started by Flintauqua, July 26, 2007, 05:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flintauqua

Gee, I get on here for the first time in several days and everyone disappears.  Now I know how Morris Marion and Paul Bocquin must have felt!  :'(  ;)

kdfrawg

I have a sneaking suspicion, Flintauqua, that this is living proof that one of the calls stronger than that of the forum is the smell of dinner on the table.

Flintauqua

I know!  And I'm sure you have no idea who the two people mentioned are, but you're probably going to find out.

Wilma

I know who the 2 people are but I don't get the connection.

flo

I quit and went to swimmercize - but never fear, I'm back now  :angel:
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Diane Amberg

Let's see, Safety Town all day, stopped for provisons on the way home. Cut up chicken for the freezer,  picked beans, squash, cukes and toms, dinner. 

kdfrawg

Those guys aren't easy #1

In January 1991, citizens of the town organized a group called Friends of Elk Falls. Retired Hollywood actor Barry McGuire, who moved to Elk Falls 20 years ago, provided a key spark. Other community leaders are Mack Byard, Paul Bocquin, Steve and Jan Fry, and others. The Friends of Elk Falls organization produced a promotional brochure about the community C but it=s unlike any promotional brochure that you=ve ever seen before.

For example, the brochure advertises Elk Falls as a Aliving ghost town in the heart of the Kansas Ozarks.@ Instead of the Yellow Brick Road, this brochure promotes the Grey Gravel Road.

The brochure includes a supposed quote saying Elk Falls is AWorth going out of your way for!@ The brochure says the quote is from a Herbert Hoover speech to the Society for the Promotion of Exaggeration in Tourist Brochures. The brochure offers the visitor the opportunity to have his or her name inscribed on a piece of gravel and dropped in the pothole of their choice.

That kind of tongue-in-cheek approach is refreshing. This community doesn=t take itself too seriously. Do you know any other town that has an annual outhouse contest?

And for a small fee the visitor can receive a certificate designating him or her as an honorary citizen of Elk Falls. There is only one condition: The new citizen must promise never to move there... Actually, it=s all in jest. Elk Falls welcomes new citizens, especially those desiring to make a positive contribution to its progressive efforts.

This approach is working. And once people visit Elk Falls, they find there are more attractions than expected. There is a small and attractive falls on the river, a lot of interesting history, a nice bed and breakfast, pioneer homes, and a surprising collection of craftsmen.

kdfrawg

I'm not going to hazard a guess on fellow number two. There's quite a selection of Morris Marion's to choose from. And even after looking into it a bit, I still don't feel even a little bit smarter. I hate it when that happens.

:(

Teresa

Maurice Marion actually is how he spells his name.
And I understood... LOL
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Ole Granny

Quote from: Teresa on July 26, 2007, 07:04:09 PM
Maurice Marion actually is how he spells his name.
And I understood... LOL

Me, too!
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk