Guidebook for Howard

Started by Mom70x7, July 24, 2007, 05:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Oh, Rudy -

I'm not deliberately leaving you out, you being in the publishing business and all.

I just thought we'd use you as are "expert advisor" when all is said and done.  :laugh:

Roma Jean Turner

I'm trying to remember the name of the restaurant, motel complex on 400 that is not far from the Howard turnoff.  It may be closer to Fredonia. Sorry to be so vague about it, but perhaps someone knows what I'm talking about even if I don't.  I've eaten at the restaurant more than once, it is good sized with a buffet.  (Of course I remember the food part).  Just can never remember the name by the time I get back to Missouri.  Thought it might be a good place to stay.  I also want to go to the Wilson County Museum which I believe is in Fredonia,  hope these places are still standing after the flood.

Jody

What a wonderful idea!!!!   Go girls!!!!!!!!!  AND GUYS ,TOO.

Teresa

I think that the buisness's ( in Howard) .. ( Batson's/Grocery, Cookson's Hardware, Lannings, P& J's, Poplar, Toots, Penny's Pub, Drs Office. and the hours open etc. We can do the same for the other towns if there is interest.  Plus the lake , camping permits, information etc.
Those places need to be listed and shown ( maybe an inside picture also) because when someone comes to the area.. they always used to come into the hardware and ask me where to ge a fishing license or if there was a place to get ice and beer and groceries etc..

This will take lots of time if it is done right.. ( but with all of us... weeeellll "right" is our middle name. )  ;)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

emptynest

We might want to consider the schools and churches in the guide book also.  Plus, individuals who offer special services...........that might not otherwise be listed.

DanCookson

What a great idea.  I think a wonderful place to tour and eat and stay is flint oak ranch.  They are open to the public during the summer for lodging, dining, and sport shooting.  I believe if you lodge there you can also use the nature trails and hiking. 

There are many old homesteads around the countryside and sometimes it can be fun to just drive around in the country and see the wildflowers and the wildlife.  There is also the city pool in Howard, and the parks in both Howard and Moline.

The Beaumont Hotel is really cool and a good place to eat as well!!

MarineMom

Quote from: Mom70x7 on July 25, 2007, 08:23:20 AM
. . . what do we need to brag about and show off?[/size]

Hubbells rubble?

Mom70x7

What great suggestions!

I'm putting together a list of all of them, and will post it later today or tomorrow. I'm thinking we're still in the idea stage, so keep those suggestions coming.

Quoteindividuals who offer special services
For these - if you want to e-mail me with the names, I'll contact them and see if they want to be listed.

QuoteThis will take lots of time if it is done right
'tis true.  :D I wasn't talking about a "put-it-together-in-24-hours" kind of guide book. I want something that will last for awhile, so I think we're on the same wave length.

And yes - Hubbel's rubble needs to be included!   ;)

Rudy Taylor

Mom70x7 ... yes, count me in. Sounds like a good but quite ambitious project.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Jo McDonald

There are beauty salons - expert welding - tire shops - florist - laundry service - Twilight Manor -- Banks - Tax service  Signer's Garage - Harrod's - Nungesser's Plumbing - Title company - Vets -  Oh My goodness --- when we get our thinking caps on ...Howard is blessed with a lot of good service business people.  Good idea - lots of time and effort will be involved, but what a GREAT IDEA    Good luck to you willing workers !!  Am I getting carried away here -- or have I turned my idea into A WALKIN' TALKIN' YELLOW PAGE MONSTER???
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk