How'd they do that?

Started by flo, July 24, 2007, 11:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flo

when we travel our meal schedules are not that, scheduled.  We eat when we get hungry.  We were driving in Wyoming and I was looking at the map to see how far to the next town and it would be 15-20 miles, get there and there would be one, maybe two houses, that's it and this went on all day.  Think we finally got to eat when we stopped for the night. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

kdfrawg

Several times, driving West through Wyoming, my stomach has given thanks for the very existence of Rock Springs. I'll bet I have eaten at that little chain steak house there four or five times, usually right before they closed.

Diane Amberg

Thanks, Frank for the water information.  And since some of you have been talking about "out back of beyond," What is the population of Bullfrog County Nev.?, human I mean, not Frawg's cousins. 

W. Gray

I was thinking Polk Daniels lake was on Game Creek?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

kdfrawg

Looks like zero.

Wikipedia sez:

Bullfrog County was a short-lived county in the state of Nevada, United States, created by the Nevada Legislature in 1987 in an attempt to garner more state revenue from the potential creation of the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository. It was re-absorbed into Nye County in 1989. Bullfrog County consisted of a 144 square mile (373 kmĀ²) area around Yucca Mountain, completely enclosed by southern Nye County. Its county seat was the state capital, Carson City (although that city was not contained within its boundaries), and it had a population of 0.

The county's establishment was a response to plans by the United States federal government to give money to Nye County in exchange for building the very unpopular Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository there. This money would apparently have gone straight to the county government, bypassing the state government. Therefore, the state legislature declared the unpopulated area around the proposed nuclear waste site to be a new county, Bullfrog County. Because this new county had no population, any federal payments for placing the nuclear waste site there would go directly to the state treasury.

The establishment of the county was challenged by the government of Nye County, and the Nevada district court found it to be in violation of the state constitution because of its zero population size. In compliance, the Nevada state legislature abolished Bullfrog County in 1989, and the territory was absorbed back into Nye County.

Diane Amberg

kdfrawg

W. Gray -

Take a look at:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lon=-96.2272&lat=37.4606

and you will see that you are exactly right about Game Creek.

;)

flo

now that's a bit of information everyone needs. thanks
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

kdfrawg

My wife is fairly sure that I am the king of useless information. I seem to remember mainly those things which are odd which no one is ever likely to ask me. It is by now, however, a habit of long standing and I don't want to stop.

;)

Flintauqua

Being the geography freak that I am, I happen to know that the least populated county in the lower 48 is Loving County, Texas with a population of 64.  And Rand McNally doesn't even list the county seat of Mentone in the gazateer, but it is 23 miles north of Pecos and 29 miles west of Kermit.

(Yes Frawg, I said Kermit, though it's pretty dry for frogs out in the Texas Panhandle)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk