Howard in the 1960's

Started by Teresa, January 11, 2006, 12:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

MY GOSH! How interesting.
I had to read real slow and get a visual on all of this and you know??...Howard was quite a booming little town, wasn't it?
I so wish it was like that again.. Wouldn't that be neat to wake up and suddenly we were the same as we are now.. but all the surroundings slipped back into the time capsule and we could relive those times as we are now?
My boys would just LOVE it! ( so would I)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Jo McDonald

There was also a liquor store behind what is now John Black's building.  It was next to the alley, I don't know which one of the Dennetts' it was, but  I think Merrit Dennet  owned it.  I am right Frankie, or am I wrong (again---sigh) ?
Across the alley was the fire station - then a self laundry and above that was the Oddfellow and Rebecca Lodge hall., then Kathryn Tarwater Law office.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

patyrn

Mr. Sievers' blacksmith shop was originally across the alley west from where the Cox Building is now.  My dad (Cecil Hebb) bought that property adjoining our house and tore the building down, and Mr. S. moved his blacksmith shop east onto the land where the Cox Building is now.  It was in a building  right next to the  Lauffer's service station/Markley's Veterinarian building.  When Mr. Sievers' retired, Jerry Harrod went into business in that location and worked there until he moved to his present location.  That was when that part of the block was cleared to build the Cox Building. 

The Mobil gas station across the street from the courthouse was originally owned by my grandpa, Jim Hawkins, who sold it to Jim Carter probably in the 1950s.  Jim Carter ran it throughout the years that I can remember.  The car dealership next door on Pine Street was  a Dodge dealership in the 50s/60s  run by Earl Garison. After that, it was C & M Ford, I think

Howard Muilenburg had the grocery store where the one-room schoolhouse now stands until the late 50s.  Russell Parsons had bought the Thompson Purina Feed Store across from the blacksmith shop, and then he relocated the feed store to Muilenburg's building. 

Perkins Hardware had the lumber storage part of their business on the corner of Washington and Pine where the HUD houses are now.   I don't ever remember it burning--wasn't it just torn down?  The Cookson Building that burned was next to it (which side of the alley???)  and had been used as a plumbing shop by the Munsingers before the Cooksons took it over, I think. 

Golly, now I'm second guessing myself about some of this.  Isn't it strange how easy it is to forget where these places used to be?  Maybe with all of our minds working together, we can get it right.  Anyone else have any recollections?   

frawin

Hello Jo, you are correct it was Merritt Dennett that had that liquor store which was right behind Hottinger's. When I went to Junior college in Independence, Merritt's Nephew , Charles and I drove back and forth together. Charles ran the Liquor store at night and he and I studied together almost every night in the back of the liquor store. Patryn, Garrison Farm Supl;y was the Dodge/Plymouth and Allis Chalmers Dealership in the late 40s, 50s, and in the early 60s Garrisons changed to the Ford dealership, which they took over from "BIG"Charley Harlowe. Your Grandpa Jim used to let me fill the oil bottles , sweep out the station, empty the trash, he gave me pocket money and often a coke and pennies to put peanuts in it. Jim was a super guy and always gave me lots of good advice and guidance. Jo, wasn't the location where Howard Mullenberg's store was , previously the old skating rink, and next to it on the North I think was Lee Roberts New/Used Furniture Store?  It sure would be neat to go back to the 40s and 50s in Howard for a day. The best and most unforgettable people in my life were from Howard.
Frank Winn

Jo McDonald

Frank...I remember that the  skating rink was where Brownie had his feed store, on So. Wabash - then Curt and Louise Morgan bought it from Bunny after Brownie passed away - and then Kelly Zellner bought the building and put in a hardware store and now Dorothy Tiffany owns it.
Was it Mullenberg - or Millenburg ?? I thought Millenberg --but what do I know?  On the north of it was a feed store, wasn't it? and didn't Russell Parson's own that?
We need Jim Criger on here to set us straight.   I don't remember if the skating rink was there before it was on south Wabash or not.  I was a Longton girl -- and I know where we had our skating rink,  :laugh: :laugh: at the north end of main street on the west side.  A skating rink and a dance floor.  Week nights was skating, Saturday night was dancing.  Wooo  Hooo 
  AND would I like to step back into the 40's, 50's and 60's  YES INDEEDY !!! I SURELY WOULD.  but not to be, and I don't have any photos to go by.  Wish I did.

Mom70x7

And what's sad to me now is that I was here in the 50s and 60s and didn't pay any attention.  :(

It's the older but wiser thing again!  :D

Jo McDonald

Boy, do I feel dumb !!!!  I don't know how I missed Patryn's post -- guess she answered all the "stuff" I was yakking about.
If I had read that, I wouldn't have gone on and on like I did.  Sorry, Patryn...will try to wake up next time before I start typing.
  Guess I'll go sit in the corner for a while.   lol lol

patyrn

You're okay, Jo.  That area of town was where I grew up, so most of it is pretty familiar to me.  Howard Muilenburg (pronounced MY-LIN-BERG) and his wife, Beth, and son, Ted,  went to our church, so I remember their family.  Beth was connected to the Elk County Superintendent of Schools office, I think, and when they left Howard and moved to Emporia, she taughtr at KSTC there. 

frawin

George Criger had a weekly auction, furniture, tools, and anything else anyone wanted to bring to sell. It was either in the old Lee Roberts building or next to it  where Howard Muilnburg's Grocery was I am not sure which. In the early days those buildings were nearly always occupied.
Frank Winn

frawin

Beth Muilenberg was County Superintendent.  They lived in Emporia they same time we did when Frank was finishing his college.  I used to see them once in awhile.

Myrna

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk