Howard in the 1960's

Started by Teresa, January 11, 2006, 12:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Now that really takes me back. She was our attorney and handled our family matters when Billy Denton died.

Roma Jean Turner

How long was Dr Buechle in practice.  My stepmother Eleanor Smart Turner worked at the abstract office in Howard.  I believe, when my father died in April of 1970, she took me to see Dr. Buechle because I was ill.  But I seem to remember the office in a big house.  I know it was busy and his wife assisted him.  I remember they counted out the pills for me to take and put them in the little white envelopes and wrote the instructions on them.

W. Gray

He delivered me but had to do it at the old Eureka hospital because of complications. A couple years later, he delivered my sister in a house on south Wabash where Rose Nix Leo later resided.

He was still practicing in 1977 according to the Elk County history book. I was surprised to see he was a D.O.

I think that big house was just recently sold after Mrs Buchele died earlier this year or late last year. I do not recall going in the house but the practice must have been on the second floor since there is an outside stairway entrance to that part.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Roma Jean Turner

I bet they lived upstairs, because I think I remember walking up on the front porch and into the house.

patyrn

I don't think Dr. Buchele ever practiced in a house in Howard unless it was in the early years of his practice.  I only remember his office being on Washington behind the old Howard National Bank building  (that would have been 1949 and after)..    He and his wife, Irma, lived throughout my childhood on the second floor of Mrs. Wright's house (the house right north of the Video Store on Wabash) and didn't own it, just rented. After Mrs. Wright died and the house sold, they moved to the second floor of Gertrude Morrow's house on Pine Street and rented it.  After Gertrude's death, they bought the house, and that is where they remained until their deaths.   

lil mikey

You did miss on a few of these and seem to have forgotten a few.  Perkins had a lumber yard that burned down in the late sixties before Cookson built his electric shop on the same site.  The building that is beside the post office was orginally a ford tractor dealership and was used by my father as a shop for his sawmill and logging business in the mid to late sixties. Dont know who had the building after that but I remember the cable tv company using it as and office in the seventies.  Elwood Miller had a plumbing shop in a biulding back of his house north of Kennith Smiths house.  Where the Cox biulding is now was a blacksmith shop, dont know what the owners name was but I know that"s where Jerry Harrod got his start. Across the street to the north of the Cox gas startion was a feed store, dont know who owned that.  That is the current site of the one room school.  The gas station across from the court house was owned by a man named JIm but I dont know his last name and mom cant remmeber either. He sold that to Kennedy in the early seventies if I remember correctly.  Grey's Greenhouse located east of the fairgrounds on the south side of the road, dont know what ever happened to that.  And how could you forget that not only did we have a railroad with a real Santa Fe depot but also a Ford car dealership located across from the court house.  After the the dealership closed Pat Crigar and another man, the same guy that bought Perkins hardware, had a mechanics shop for a few years.  O yeah, dont forget the motel on the highway to the south of Harding's (JIm Stangs place) gas station.  Anyway thats all I can remmeber off the top of my head this morning.  Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Diane Amberg

If the one room school house that was moved is the old Union Center school, that is where my father and Uncle Teddy went during their early years. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Wilma

It is and it looks very nice.

Jo McDonald

Jim Hawkins had the filling station where Nungesser is now --- Ed Henry had the filling station and the Motel on highway 99.  Brooks Bryan had a Ford Dealership in the 1950's where the First National Bank is now.  We bought a 1950 Ford from him just before Teresa was born and that is the "new" ( not really, but new to us ) car we brought Teresa home from the hospital in.  Cecil and Sue Allen , Pat's parents had the liquor store on the Hi way and then after their demise Pat owned  it and now Vickie Crupper has her beauty salon there.
Virgil and Elva Munsinger  had a plumbing shop where Cookson's Electric was on east Washington.  Milinberg had a grocery store where the museum  school house is now in the 40's.  Of course, most all of these were before Teresa started giving her list.  Years ago, Howard had many, many businesses, and actually, there are still a lot of businesses in Howard, compared to other little towns.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

To add a little to this, the Blacksmith Shop, which was owned and operated by C.O. Cookie Seever wasn't where the Cox building is now , it was West of where the Cox building is. Carl Lauffer's Sinclair Station and later it was Dr Markeley's Vet clinic was where the Cox Building is now. Paul Doris Thompson had the Purina Feedstore across the Street South the Blacksmith Shop. Before that there was a bakery in the that building. In the 40s, 50s, and into the 60s Howard was a real bustling town with 4 grocery stores, 4 implement dealers, 3 car dealers, 4 barbers, 3 Doctors, (4 Doctors including Dr. Pike the Chiropractor)and the list goes on and on. Times have changed in rural America.
Frank winn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk