Flying Saucers in Elk County

Started by W. Gray, July 19, 2007, 08:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfrawg

Oh, yes, surely she will. I hope that my post will not be Royally interpretted as in any way doubting the abilities of Her Highnes to perform any action whatever.

Heaven forfend!

:o

Rudy Taylor

Forfend is to bend
verbiage to an end.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

kdfrawg

Having used it, is there a past tense to "forfend?"

Forfent?

Teresa

Forbend.. forfent.. forcent .. forlint.. forzent  ...for. ...whatever!!!!

Men!  ::) ::)

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

:-\ dang, wish I could find my dictionary  ???
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

kdfrawg

That's not nearly the weirdest word in early and middle English. For my money, that prize may well go to "peradventure." That huge word means "if" so it's no wonder the word "if" was invented. We really needed it!

;)

flo

:-\ shows you what I know.  I would probably have said "seen some beautiful scenery peradventure I took to the country."  ;D ;D :angel:
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

kdfrawg

Well, Flo, your definition makes a lot more sense than the one that is correct. I guess we both suffer, in this case, from not being fifteenth century English persons.

;)

MarineMom

Quote from: Kermit on July 27, 2007, 09:49:53 AM
I guess we both suffer, in this case, from not being fifteenth century English persons.

Be glad be very glad 'cos after having to read Chaucer and Shakespeare in high school I can only say that is a good thing to suffer from ;D

kdfrawg

I wound up reading a lot of old and middle English and I can verify that they did indeed talk funny. It was a little like trying to decipher code, although part of the words were sort of familiar. In the overall scheme of things, that was not all that long ago. It is amazing how fast us folks can change things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk