Independence Day

Started by Diane Amberg, July 04, 2007, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Happy 4th to you all. I am 30 miles south of Philadelphia where it all started. They make a big deal of it every year. Here in Newark we have a day long party and great fireworks at dusk at the University of Delaware football stadium( Go Blue Hens!) We can't have personal fire works here, but somebody will manage to blow off a few fingers anyway. I was in Howard over the 4th in 1954 and my Uncle Teddy brought bags full of all kinds of fireworks out to Billy Denton's ranch where we were staying. My mother was furious because she just knew my sister Carol and I would be injured. So... we watched while the the "grownups" played with the fireworks!  HA!!  Ah, yes, the good old days!  What are you all doing to celebrate? Well, I need to go out to the back 40 and check my tomatos.(Here that means forty feet, not forty acres!) Any news on Lloyd?  Diane Amberg     

kfclark

I was given this "script" after I heard one of the authors read portions of it to our Boy Scout Troop around a campfire at scout camp.  I know that more than a few of you will enjoy it. I'm breaking it down into several entries.  I decided to leave the stage instructions in for effect. Enjoy and Happy Independence Day.  Your friend Kevin.

Prologue

(Paul Revere on a rapidly galloping horse approaches from the south on the eastern track.  As he approaches, a voice is heard over the loud speaker shouting, "The British are coming.  The British are coming.  To arms.  The British are coming."  As soon as he passes in front of the staging area, a shot rings out as a black powder rifle fires.)

(The narrator approaches the podium which is placed at one corner of the stage on the audience's right.  A snare drum plays a slow but methodical military beat in the background.)  The "shot heard 'round the world" was fired at dawn on April 19, 1775 in Lexington, Massachusetts.  No one knows for sure who fired the shot.  Americans say the British fired first.   The British deny it.  Regardless of who started the conflict, what would be born out of it would change the world forever. 

The American Revolution or War for Independence was primarily a war of ideas.  Arguably, every war has an ideological basis.  However, this war, perhaps unlike other wars, had been preceded by years and years of debate revolving around the idea of who had the right to govern whom.

At one extreme, the Americans felt that the British had little to do with their present growth and progress.  Yes, it was true that they enjoyed a vigorous commerce with England, the British military served as a convenient buffer against foreign aggression, and many American customs and laws were born of British ancestry.  However, when it came to obeisance to the British crown, most Americans had never even seen England, let alone developed a loyalty to its distant monarch.

On the other extreme, the British felt that the American colonies were their possessions to do with as they pleased.  Yes, it was true that it was best to leave the colonies alone to prosper as they saw fit, but when an important need arose, it was not only expected that the colonists would contribute their fair share, it was considered downright insolent if they didn't do so gratefully. 

Differing viewpoints aside, the absurdity of a bunch of loose-knit, ragtag settlers taking on one of the most powerful nations on earth was almost palpable.  Great Britain, whose military, infrastructure and laws spanned centuries, was far more capable of waging war than the fledgling, divided interest, largely agrarian colonies.  While the Atlantic Ocean somewhat minimized this lopsided reality, England's ability to manage its affairs from afar was well established.  Moreover, it had recently completed a successful military campaign against France, a much more formidable foe than the thirteen colonies.   (Snare drum comes to a fitting military halt.)

But our purpose tonight is not so much to focus on the war as much as certain key individuals, whose patriotism, principled behavior and devotion to what they believed to be a glorious cause, contributed mightily to its successful outcome.  (Rising from behind the stage to stand in staggered positions on the choir risers in the following order from left to right: Thomas Paine, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, empty chair, John Adams, Benjamin Franklin and Samuel Adams.  They remain standing throughout the program.  A conspicuously empty chair is seen in   the middle of the risers.)  These heroes who helped found our country and all others like them (two groups of patriots come from behind stage to stand on platform risers to the right and left, respectively, of our heroes; one of the patriots is carrying the Betsy Ross flag) lived and died for principles upon whose existence and maintenance we depend for the freedoms and prosperous circumstances we enjoy today.   
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

kfclark

Samuel Adams

Our first hero is Samuel Adams, considered by many to be the Father of the Revolution.  (Samuel Adams walks to an antique table, which is placed just right of center stage in the foreground, so that the audience's view of the empty chair in the background is not obscured by the table.  On top of the table are a quill pen in an ink bottle and an oil lamp.  He is carrying a handful of circulars and a newspaper.  He sits down and begins reading the newspaper.  Two groups of colonists move just in front of the choir risers stage right and left, respectively, and are seen talking in the background.  John Adams, carrying a rolled piece of parchment paper, walks forward to the standing microphone on the right of the stage.  Two groups of colonists and two "Indians" take their places in front of the risers.  Two "bags" of tea are placed near the "Indians".)  Seen through the eyes of his cousin John Adams, we get a glimpse into the character of this political firebrand: (John Adams addresses the audience.)

"Samuel was thirteen years my senior.  I looked on him as my political father.  Although I was more conservative than he I admired his unceasing energy.  He was always out fomenting trouble of one kind or another.  (Samuel stands and walks back to the first group of colonists engages them in conversation while handing out the circulars and pointing to the things he has been reading in the newspaper.  The colonists begin reading the circulars while nodding their heads in approval.  He is very passionate about what he is saying, occasionally striking the newspaper he is carrying for emphasis.)  Not because he was a troublemaker per se, but because he felt so strongly about British injustice and the need for America's independence.  (Adams moves to the next group of colonists and repeats the same actions.)  He wrote thousands of letters to newspaper editors and other colonial leaders stirring people to action.  (Adams picks up the tea "bags", hands them to the Indians, and motions them to go do their deed.  The "Indians" quickly move off stage.) He organized the Sons of Liberty who, dressed as Indians, carried out the Boston Tea Party.  He was involved in nearly every critical event that led to the formation of our country.  The British considered him to be the most dangerous man in Massachusetts. In fact, it was his arrest they were seeking when that fateful shot was fired in Lexington. (Adams returns to the table, sits down and picks up his newspaper to begin reading again.  The colonists return to their designated positions.)

"Samuel never sought for personal recognition, preferring to work behind the scenes.  He always considered America's independence reward enough.  He felt that we were all acting on behalf of millions of Americans yet unborn.  (Adams folds the newspaper angrily and slams it down on the table in disgust.)  His dogged determination and perseverance were largely responsible for fanning the flames that ultimately led to confrontation with the British.  (Adams, still carrying the newspaper, returns to his designated place with a determined look on his face.) Truly, as his friend Thomas Jefferson said, he was the 'Man of the Revolution.'"

kfclark

John Adams

(After John Adams finishes his narrative, he walks to the table, sits down, picks up the quill pen, pauses for a moment as he contemplates what he is about to write, then begins writing.  Occasionally he looks up, lost in thought, then begins writing again.) Although perhaps not as forceful as his cousin Samuel, John Adams played a key role in defining America's purpose in the revolution.  He was one of the first leaders to articulate the idea of a united country.  He wrote, "I see a union and a confederation of thirteen states, independent of Parliament, of Minister and of King."  (Two colonists unfurl the Betsy Ross flag while the spotlight is shone on the flag, adding a hint of color.)

The concept of a union of the colonies where the American people would be responsible for their own destiny was truly unique.  Paradigm shifts such as these where an entire people must fundamentally change how they view themselves are often years in the making.  In order for them to occur, the people must be able to see the end from the beginning.  They must have a vision. (Adams looks up, staring above the heads of the audience, as if transfixed in a vision of the future.) According to the Bible, without a clearly articulated vision, the people perish.  John Adams helped the American people see themselves from a new perspective.  (Adams begins writing again.)  He wrote, "We should invite the people to erect the whole building with their own hands, upon the broadest foundation... For the people are the source of all authority and power."  (The colonists return to their designated places.)

(John Adams finishes his writing and returns the quill pen to its holder.  He stands holding the document.  He pauses a moment as he contemplates what he has just written and nods approvingly at his work.  He then returns to his designated place still holding the document.) We owe John Adams a debt of gratitude for helping to crystallize the vision upon which the American people were able to formulate the greatest concept in self-government the world has ever seen.

kfclark

Patrick Henry

Yet even with a common vision, it required more than just a belief in self-government to make the dream a reality.  People of inspiration and courage were needed to stir men's souls and to kindle the flames of liberty.

Patrick Henry, according to one observer, was "the completest speaker I ever heard" (Patrick Henry moves forward, pacing the stage like a caged lion), admitting that he could not even begin to convey the "music" of his voice nor "the natural elegance of his style and manner."  At a critical juncture in the debate over whether Virginia should send aid to the citizens of Boston and prepare its militia for war, Patrick Henry arose to address the Virginia House of Burgesses. (Henry addresses the audience from the standing microphone.)

"...There is no longer any room for hope.  If we wish to be free; if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending; if we mean not basely to abandon the noble struggle in which we have been so long engaged, and which we have pledged ourselves never to abandon, until the glorious object of our contest shall be obtained; we must fight!  I repeat it sir, we must fight!  An appeal to arms and to the God of hosts is all that is left us!"

"They tell us, sir... that we are weak, unable to cope with so formidable an adversary.  But when shall we be stronger?  Will it be the next week or the next year?  Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house?...Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature has placed in our power.  Three million people armed in the holy cause of liberty and in such a country as that which we possess are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us."

("Sing of America" background music begins repeating the same sequence four times.  Patrick Henry uses stage and time liberally for dramatic flair.) "Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone.  There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations, and who will raise up friends to fight our battles for us.  The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave.  Besides, sir, we have no election.  It is now too late to retire from the contest.  Our chains are forged.  Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!  The war is inevitable – and let it come!!  I repeat it, sir, let it come!!!"

"Gentlemen may cry peace; but there is no peace.  The war is actually begun!  The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms.  What is it that gentlemen wish?  What would they have?  Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"

"Forbid it, Almighty God – I know not what course others may take, but as for me – give me liberty or give me death!" 

(Choir stands to sing "Sing of America".  Patrick Henry returns to designated place as the choir begins to sing.)

kfclark

Thomas Paine

With the support of Virginia, the movement for independence gained considerable momentum.  And yet, so far, the movement had been carried largely on the shoulders of the intellectuals and other political leaders who had been most caught up in the debate.  The struggle for independence had not yet been carried to the masses, to the common people who made up the majority of the American landscape.  These would still need to be persuaded if America was to win its bid for independence. (Thomas Paine rises with an old travel bag in hand, walks to the opposite corner of the stage and drops it, surveying with pleasure the new landscape.  A plaintive trumpet begins playing in the background as we begin to hear strains of Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man".)

Enter a young man, ironically, fresh from the shores of Great Britain. A wanderer of sorts, who had failed at just about every enterprise he had engaged in, and yet who was recognized by no less than Benjamin Franklin for his dynamic energy and risk-oriented nature.  (Ben Franklin steps forward.  Paine picks up the bag, turns and walks toward Franklin.  Paine puts down the bag and shakes Franklin's hand.  Franklin then hands him a letter of recommendation.  Paine gratefully turns and walks toward the table leaving the travel bag behind.  Franklin watches attentively.)  Franklin's letter of recommendation landed Paine a job as a writer at The Pennsylvania Magazine.  (Paine sits at the table and begins writing profusely on the same letter of recommendation.)  This gave young Thomas the opportunity he needed to begin expressing his ideas about his newly found country.  (Samuel Adams joins Franklin. Paine finishes his writing, picks up the letter and walks to where Franklin and Adams are standing.) In early December 1775 Paine sent his first draft of what he called Common Sense to Benjamin Franklin and Samuel Adams for final review.  (Paine hands them the letter.  They read it and nod their approval.)  On January 10, 1776, the work was published as a pamphlet for mass distribution.  What happened thereafter caught everyone by surprise. (Other colonists step forward.  Paine pulls a stack of pamphlets from the travel bag or inside his waistcoat and begins handing them to the colonists, who begin reading them and nodding their approval.)  The first edition sold out in less than 2 weeks.  Within 3 months more than 120,000 copies had sold throughout the colonies; over the next 2 years, it would sell over a half a million copies around the world.  (Paine separates himself from the group and slowly walks to the standing microphone reading his own finished work.  The colonists disburse and return to their respective positions.  Franklin picks up the travel bag and returns with Adams to their respective positions. Music fades)

With such publicity, one would think that Thomas Paine would have become a household name, an overnight sensation.  But the pamphlet was published anonymously and Paine quietly donated all of his royalties to the Second Continental Congress.  He never received a penny for his work. 

He wrote to the masses, to the common man, to the average, ordinary, everyday American.

"As it is my design to make those that can scarcely read understand, I shall avoid every literary ornament and put it in language as plain as the alphabet.  I bring reason to your ears and hold up truth to your eyes.

"Tis not in numbers but in unity that our great strength lies.  The present time comes to a nation but once.  We have it in our power to begin the world over again.  Everything that is right or reasonable pleads for separation!

("Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor" background music begins at C and continues to right before key change.) "These are the times that try men's souls.  The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from service of his country, but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.

"O ye that love mankind!  Ye that dare to oppose not only the tyranny but the tyrant, stand forth!  Every spot of the old world is overrun with oppression.  Freedom hath been hunted around the globe.

"O, receive the fugitive, and prepare in time an asylum for mankind!"

(Choir stands to sing "Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor".  Paine returns to his designated place.)

kfclark

Thomas Jefferson

(Five of our heroes with the exception of Thomas Paine, gather as members of the Second Continental Congress.  They form a small discussion group in the background and are seen talking among themselves.  John Adams is holding a large piece of parchment paper.)  On June 7, 1776 Richard Henry Lee of Virginia introduced a resolution in the Second Continental Congress calling for, among other things, a declaration of independence.  A committee of five, including Benjamin Franklin, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, was assigned to draft the document.  (Adams is seen talking and pointing at Jefferson as if to give him the assignment of drafting the document.  Adams then hands him the paper.)  Adams asked Jefferson to take the lead because, "First, you are a Virginian; second, unlike myself, you are popular; and, third, you can write ten times better than I can."  (Jefferson pauses for a moment, contemplating the deep import of the assignment, then nods his approval.)

But Jefferson was much more than a writer.  (Jefferson walks to the table and sits down.  Taking the quill pen, he begins writing on the parchment.) He was a genius of the highest caliber.  He was also a statesman, a philosopher, an architect, a scientist, an inventor and a musician.  A voracious reader, he amassed a library of thousands of volumes during his lifetime.

Jefferson took two weeks to draft the Declaration of Independence.  He did not base his document on any previous work, nor did he consult any other book or pamphlet.  (Jefferson rises and returns to Franklin and Adams handing them a draft of the document.) All the words and organization came directly from his brilliant mind, and as a result, it turned out to be an original literary masterpiece. (Franklin and Adams nod their approval and return the document to Jefferson.) Franklin and Adams reviewed the first draft, making a few minor revisions.  It was presented to the entire Congress largely untouched.

(Jefferson moves to the standing microphone to address the audience while holding a draft of the document in both hands.  Jefferson begins speaking as if reading from the document.) "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.  That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their powers from the consent of the governed.  That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

"We, Therefore, the Representatives of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and by the authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be, FREE AND INDEPENDENT STATES; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; AND for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor."

(Jefferson returns to the table where he sits down to sign the document.  Other members of the congress move towards the table.  Thomas Paine moves forward, drops to one knee, positioning himself to see the faces of the signers.  Jefferson signs the document, stands and hands the pen to the next signer.  The remaining members of Congress alternately sign the document, some choosing to sit while others stand.  John Adams is the last to sign.)  The signing of the Declaration of Independence was in effect a declaration of war. Every man in the room knew it.  Each also realized that it put at risk not only their own property and lives but that of their families.  William Ellery of Rhode Island wanted to witness the signature of each man. "I was determined to see how they all looked as they signed what might be their death warrants."  (John Adams takes the document and moves to the standing microphone while holding the precious document in both hands.)

("Americans" music begins at an appropriate place.) "Sink or swim, live or die, survive or perish, I give my hand and heart to this vote.  All that I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope, in this life, I am now ready here to stake upon it.  It is my living sentiment, and by the blessing of God it shall be my dying sentiment, independence, now and independence, forever."

(Choir stands to sing "Americans" while the patriots remain standing.  When the song is complete, the patriots return to their designated positions.)

kfclark

Benjamin Franklin

(John Adams gives Benjamin Franklin the document.)  Benjamin Franklin was the proverbial jack-of-all-trades.  (Franklin, with the document in hand, walks to the table, sits down and begins reading it.  Two colonists holding a large volume move in front of the choir risers.  They are  reading, pointing and showing their enjoyment of what they are reading.  Two young children step forward holding a kite to which is attached a large, metallic-looking key.)  However, unlike the proverbial jack-of-all-trades, he was, in fact, the master of many.  No other American, except perhaps Thomas Jefferson, had Franklin's breadth and capacity.  A prodigious learner, he taught himself five languages.  (Franklin finishes reading the document and then signs it with a flourish of satisfaction.)  As a statesman, he was the only person to have signed the Declaration of Independence, the Treaty of Alliance with France, the Treaty of Peace with Great Britain and the Constitution. As a foreign diplomat, he is considered by many historians to be without parallel.  (Franklin rises with the document in hand and moves towards the young boy and girl.  He holds the key attached to the kite string and lifts it up to look at it more closely.  He nods approvingly.  He then turns and moves toward the two colonists.) As an inventor, he was unequaled until Thomas Edison.  As a writer, his Poor Richard's Almanac sold more copies during his time than any book with the exception of the Bible.  (Franklin moves to the colonists, engages them in conversation, pointing as if telling them where to go and how to act.)  As an organizer, he established America's first city hospital and police force, its first subscription library, volunteer fire department and postal system, and Pennsylvania's first university.  As a publisher, he ran one of the most successful newspapers in the colonies. 

(The two colonists hand Franklin the large volume and Franklin hands them the document. Franklin begins reading from the volume while moving slowly to the standing microphone.)  His accomplishments and fame were so widespread during his time that it is difficult to imagine another person with so far reaching an influence.  Thomas Jefferson hailed him as "the greatest man and ornament of the age and country in which he lived."  The French statesman, Count Honore de Mirabeau, referred to Franklin as "the sage whom two worlds claimed as their own."

Perhaps it was Franklin's homey wisdom and good-natured humor that tempered the angers and engaged the reason of men for so long.  (Franklin begins reading to the audience from Poor Richard's Almanac, turning one or two pages after reading each saying.  Strains to "America the Beautiful" are heard in the background.)

"A wise man will desire no more than what he may get justly, use soberly, distribute cheerfully and leave contentedly."

"Doing an Injury puts you below your enemy; Revenging one makes you but even with him; Forgiving it sets you above him."

"Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly; and if you speak, speak accordingly."

"For my own part, when I am employed in serving others, I do not look upon myself as conferring favors, but as paying debts." 

(At this point, Franklin closes Poor Richard's Almanac and looks directly into the faces of the audience.)  "I never doubted... the existence of the Deity; that He made the world and governed it by His Providence; that the most acceptable service of God was the doing good to man; that our souls are immortal; and that all crime will be punished, and virtue rewarded, either here or hereafter.  These I esteemed the essentials of every religion."

("America the Beautiful" background music stops.  Franklin slowly turns and returns to his designated position.  The colonists and young children return to their respective positions.)

("O Spacious Skies" background music begins playing at measure 58 with a short introduction beforehand and continues through measure 67.)  Benjamin Franklin, who fittingly hailed from the city of brotherly love, exemplified all that was good and right with America.  His call for self-control, his quiet but effective diplomacy, his continual striving for the highest within us shone as bright beacons for every American who came within his influence.

(Choir stands to sing "For Spacious Skies.")

kfclark

George Washington

It is difficult to imagine how God could have provided a more noble, a more courageous, or a more commanding presence than General George Washington.  (Washington is noticeably absent from the stage.)  To his soldiers, he was an ever-present influence for good.  One visitor describing Washington said, "He often works with his men himself.  He strips off his coat and works like a common man." 

His compassion and heartfelt empathy for his men ran deep.  During perhaps the most critical period of the war, when none but the stoutest of heart could have endured the scenes of deprivation and want that the soldiers at Valley Forge were forced to endure, one of Washington's soldiers, an Isaac Potts, chanced to hear a voice on his way to the creek.  Upon following the voice, he found Washington kneeling in prayer, his cheeks wet with tears, imploring God for deliverance.  When Isaac recalled the incident to his wife, he said, "If there is any one to whom the Lord will listen, it is George Washington, and under such a commander, our independence is certain."   

(A Continental soldier rushes from behind the stage onto the field in an apparent state of panic.  He positions himself in front of the stage.  He is brandishing a Revolutionary War gun, but appears not to know where to turn and where to shoot.)  In one particular incident, an advance guard of American soldiers ran unexpectedly into two British regiments creating confusion among the troops. (A galloping horse is heard in the background, shouts of direction are heard calling to the men to fall into formation.  The soldier stops his random movements, comes to attention, turns facing west, falls to one knee and positions himself as if to shoot.)  Washington on his tall white horse galloped to the rescue lining up his men and riding ahead of them against the British.  When the two forces came into range, both fired.  (A volley of shots is fired and smoke begins rising from behind the stage.  The soldier, in dismay, raises his arm as if to stop the General from riding into the gun fire. )  Washington was between them.  (The soldier covers his face with his hat.) An aide covered his face to keep from seeing his commander killed.  When he lowered his hat, many men lay dead or dying, but General Washington was sitting untouched on his horse.  (General Washington appears from behind the smoke riding on a tall white horse.) 

In a country such as ours today, it is difficult to conceive that we have neglected to give just honor to and to express our continuing admiration for the character and influence of George Washington, the Father of our Country.  (Washington rides toward the stage.)  Without his steadiness and his unfailing courage, what started out as a glorious cause, may well have ended in ruin.  (Washington dismounts, the soldier/aide walks with the horse behind the stage.)  His sacrifice, his devotion and his calm, unwavering leadership under fire gave his troops the assurance they needed to sustain the war effort.  (Washington climbs the stairs and prepares to address his troops from the standing microphone.) Let us listen now as General Washington addresses his troops.  (Washington begins speaking.)

"It has been a kind of destiny that has thrown me upon this service.  I have entered upon this momentous duty and have exerted every power that I possessed in support of this glorious cause.  As to pay, I have received no profit from it.  Remember officers and soldiers, that you are Freemen, that you have fought for the blessings of Liberty, that slavery would have been your portion and that of your posterity if you had not acquitted yourselves like men.

"You men have fought valiantly for your country.  Your devotion to duty and your sacrifice of the comforts of life and the pleasurable company of your families for these many years deserves the undying respect and gratitude of your country.  Yours has been as the sacrifice of old that has called up the blessings of heaven.

(Washington stops, overcome with emotion.  He fumbles for a piece of paper tucked inside his jacket.  He tries to read it but cannot.  He then reaches for his glasses and puts them on.) "Gentlemen, you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray but almost blind in the service of my country.

(Reading now from a prepared script, Washington continues.  Choir stands as the regular introduction to the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" begins.)

"We have abundant reason to thank Providence for its many favorable interpositions in our behalf.  It has at times been my only dependence, for all other resources seemed to have failed us... I was but the humble agent of favoring Heaven, whose benign interference was so often manifested in our behalf, and to whom the praise of victory alone is due."

(Choir stands to sing "Battle Hymn of the Republic".  General Washington turns and moves to occupy the empty chair on the stage.)

kfclark

So Many Voices

My fellow countrymen, tonight we have been honored to hear from or about seven distinguished patriots, without whose sacrifice and devotion we would not be gathered here tonight.  It is altogether fitting that we pay our respects to these heroes.  At the same time we recognize that there were many hundreds, if not thousands, of individuals who sacrificed in like manner. 

Tens of thousands of people around the world watched with great interest as the war unfolded.  Some, like the Marquis de Lafayette and Baron Von Steuben, came from France and Germany to fight in the war.  Others, like the native Americans and Spanish inhabitants of New Mexico, which at the time was under the control of Spain, contributed precious money and grain.  Donna Santistevan of the Daughters of the American Revolution would like to read a letter now that was written in 1784 by the Governor of the Province of New Mexico, her great great great great grandfather.

"Dear Antonio Jose Ortiz, High Mayor of Santa Fe:

As you know, in August of 1780, King Carlos III issued a Royal Order asking each Spanish and each Indian male 18 years of age or older in the Spanish colonies to make a voluntary donation to support the war effort.  I now announce that the hostilities have ceased and that peace has been established, and so order that the donations cease.

I would like to personally thank you and the other contributors for your liberal offerings.  His Majesty is most pleased with your having distinguished yourselves by offering all of a great part of your riches.  Be sure to especially extend thanks to the Indians for this is the first that I know for a fact that have expressed their loyalty.  A total of 3,677 pesos in cash and 133 pesos in the form of grain was collected from our province, stored in the Treasury at Chihuahua, shipped to Havana and then transferred to the colonies.

Signed:

Don Juan Bautista de Anza
Governor of the Province of New Mexico

America is not just for Americans.  It is a land of liberty to all who love freedom and who cherish the principles upon which it was founded.  May we tonight be grateful for those who sacrificed so much for the freedoms we enjoy today and may be remember that America is a melting pot, made up of people from all nations, tongues and peoples who love liberty.

(Choir stands to sing "So Many Voices.")

(Fireworks begin following applause.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk