New Howard National Bank One of the Finest in Kansas , May 18, 1958

Started by kfclark, May 30, 2007, 09:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfclark

From the Independence Sunday Reporter, May 18, 1958

New Howard National Bank One of the Finest in Kansas

Captions under photos:
Several hundred persons jammed into the Howard National Bank Saturday to inspect its spacious new home at an all-day open house. (left) The three bookkeepers a the bank are: (left to right) Mrs. Curtis Morgan, Mrs. Roy Nigh and Mrs. Wayne Salisbury. (center) Glenn Miller, left cashier and Willard Morss, president. (right) The modern lobby in the new Howard bank would equal any to be found in this area.

Caption above article:
Howard National Bank Located in New Home.
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

kfclark

Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

Teresa

those are so cool.. and to see the bank look like it used to.. wow.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

patyrn

I believe this is the FIRST NATIONAL BANK in Howard.  I remember when it used to be across the street and moved to its present location in 1958.  The Howard National Bank now sits where the First National Bank formerly was located.  The Howard National Bank's site was formerly in the historical building on the east side at the north end of Main Street that is now trashed out.  How sad!!!

frawin

That is the First National Bank, my wife worked there with that group for 7 years from 1958 to 1965.
Frank Winn

Janet Harrington

I love those pictures.  Louise Morgan, the first woman on the left, is well known with all of us.  She was so pretty.  She still is.  She is also a very good woman and in need of our prayers as she is recuperating from a stroke. 

Neato pictures.

Sam

I have never seen those pictures before.  It's amazing that they used so much glass in a bank building.  Didn't they convert from a car dealership?  Bryan Motors maybe?  There is a mirror in the back bathroom with that name on it.

Does anyone know when they bricked the walls and why?

I notice that the wallpaper, chairs, and furniture are still the same since 1958. 

sb

W. Gray

The bank replaced Bryan Ford Company. Danny Signer's garage is in the former Ford service area.

The Ford dealer was at that location for only 18 years after the Metropolitan Hotel was torn down in 1940.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

Sam,

I really don't remember when they bricked in the windows, but someone that lives on this forum should know.

The murals that are still there were awesome when I was a little girl.  They still are, but seem aged now.

Maybe someday you can change a few things in there and make it appear a little more modern.

How is Cherryvale?  Hope your bank there is doing well.

emptynest

I remember the big glass panes as I walked past them everyday on my way to grade school.  But a sonic boom broke out all the glass one day and they were boarded up for the longest time.  The next thing I remember was they were bricking them in.  But I do remember not being able to walk on that side of the street the day the glass got blown out.  We used to have some tremendous sonic booms in Howard back in the day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk