Chuckles

Started by flo, June 29, 2007, 03:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfrawg

That is indeed who said that, MarineMom. There was a fella with a way for words.

;D

Diane Amberg

We stayed at B&Bs everywhere from Land's End to John O'Groates. And yes, we had a fried slice, beans on toast and "streaky'' too. Well, not all at the same meal! We have a fire brigade friend who lived at Shotley Bridge, near Durham, and we got to stay a few days with them too. His mum spoiled us rotten with kippers and real Dover Sole, bangers and mash, and  beef & Yorkshire Pudding. They took us to Durham Castle and Durham Cathedral too. Martyn spoke "Geordie British." Speaking of English, we drove all over the country ( I got to know the M1 very well.) but we also took the 125 train from London up to Edinburough. The conductor was very funny. As we changed regions, he changed his accent!    I loved Scotland too, Mom's people were Ayrshire, from the Kilmarnock area.... had haggis, tatties and neeps and great lamb. A wonderful country.

kdfrawg

One grows quickly used to the differences in food and habits in foreign lands. The one thing that I found utterly strange at the time, and still find strange, is the beverage served with the salmon at a fishing lodge in Scotland where a friend from the bank took me. I don't think I would ever get used to throwing down Scotch neat with my fish, regardless of the admiration I have for good single-malts.

;D

Diane Amberg

What, no Shandy? I never was sure what might show up in the local game soup, but it was always very good.  We would often stop at the local bakery for sausage rolls at lunch time. They were only about 30 P. then. We enjoyed all the various meat pies, and to this day, the "ploughman's lunch" is still one of my favorites. It's hard to get good pub onions here though. I finally figured out what "sultanas"  and "caster" sugar were. Gateau is cake, but cake is also cake. And boots and bonnets aren't always clothes, but Wellies are. And I REALLY got tired of peas. 

Diane Amberg

Ok, how about some more third grade jokes.
     What's the difference between a very hungry man and a very fat man?
      One longs to eat and the other eats too long.

Why should a man in the desert always wear his watch?
       Because it has a spring in it.

Why is a book like a ripe cherry?
        Its always read. (red)

Dee Gee

A CANDY STORY
A little girl eating Cotton Candy for the first time looked very puzzled then looking up at the mother said " Mommy, will you please watch me awhile and see if I am eating this candy."
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Dee Gee

Some lessons are learned at mothers knee others over it.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

kdfrawg

Peas, Diane, are to England what baked tomatoes are to Australia.

Which is overdone and everywhere.

;D

Diane Amberg

;D ;D ;D That's great! Here's one last joke.
  Why should you always cover your ears when a rooster is crowing?
  Because he always uses fowl language.

MarineMom

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 17, 2007, 05:40:41 PM
, and to this day, the "ploughman's lunch" is still one of my favorites. It's hard to get good pub onions here though. 

There is a chain of stores called World Market that sometime carries them. Or an online place to order them is Brits in Lawrence Kansas, they are usually reasonable and ship quickly (I generally have my stuff in less than a week)
http://www.britsusa.com/contact.php   :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk