High water

Started by okiemon, June 29, 2007, 08:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desertlilydarla

kdfrawg, we may  have to get some boats together and start picking up the local's from Howard and take them to higher ground.  I just got off the phone with my sister in Elk Falls,  she said the water now flowing around the concrete bridge into the fields just past the falls. And to the west of her going toward Howard and Moline the roads are also flood.  She said Elk Falls is like an Island.  My other sister went to Sedan this morning and can't seem to get back Elk Falls.  Hopefully the rain will stop or easy up soon.  I hear people are having to leave their homes in the west side of Moline. 
No act of kindness, no matter how small,
is ever wasted.

kdfrawg

It looks to me like Howard is a little higher than Elk Falls, in terms of feet-above-the-water. Both Elk Falls and Moline look like they would be flood-prone, just from the elevations off the Google Earth contours. Elk Falls is on a little "plateau" but it is not many feet from the water to the top, so it's island-like nature is not a lot of comfort. The radar on the National Weather Service site looks like they are all going to get some relief in a couple of hours, but then it is likely to start back up by morning.

I wonder where a body can get a cruise ship on short notice?

;D

desertlilydarla

All I  have is an old tub of a boat that will hold about 8 people , but I live to far away. I should pull it out there my next trip out, just in case they need it for the next go round.  When it does rain here,  I like to bake bread or pie's ....it's to bad it didn't rain here today when i burn't my mickey mouse cake for my grandson's 1 st birthday. The rain would have smelled better then the cake.  But  I did bake another one... turned out just find.
No act of kindness, no matter how small,
is ever wasted.

Wilma

At 2:00 this morning when the electricity went off, it had stopped raining enough that my river was down and the sidewalk was clear.  I now have 4 1/2 inches in the rain gauge, making a total of 14 1/2 inches since Sunday.  Radar looks as if no heavy rain for a few hours.  What with the electric off till 5:00 and the fire siren going off at 5:30,  I am short a few hours sleep.  At my age, anything will do as an excuse for not sleeping in bed at night.  No problem in front of the TV or trying to read.  The fire according to Janet was Zimmerman's Funeral Home.  I am waiting for her to find out more about it.  I am sure she will report to all of us when she does.

MarineMom

the smoke from the funeral home has lessened and is white now instead of black so I think they have got it beat--I hope

Janet Harrington

Here is a picture of yesterday's water in front of Mother's house.

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Wilma on June 29, 2007, 04:39:47 PM
Channel 12 showed a picture of an Elk County country road sent to them by our own Devyn Weakley at the start of their 5:00 news this evening.  Hope they show it again.

Maybe Devyn Weakley will share with us the pictures she has taken of this high water.

flo

We can all thank the good Lord that we don't live along Fall River and the Verdigris rivers.  Evacuations in Elk County are bad enough without that.  A guy said this morning that last summer everyone was praying for rain and he figures EVERYBODY'S prayers were answered at the same time.  Ch. 12 finally caught up with the right amount of rain we're getting - over 16" in last 24 hrs.  About what I have had, but can't tell exactly because my rain gauge ran over twice, but close enough and I say we've had plenty to last awhile, so how bout stopping it now.  Marvin was unable to get home last night, but this morning made it by going zig zag and driving thru high water that his pasture jumper could make.  Guess I won't worry about watering the outside plants today.  ;D :angel: 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Jo McDonald

Over here at the Elk City Lake --- we are REALLY high   the two campgrounds at the south west end have had to be evacuated - they started late last night and thenagain at 6 this Morning.  Fred and I went over to the dam and the Neosho River is backed up clear up to the flood gates --- and still rising -- the highway into Independence is under water for about 1/2 mile and the Corp of Engineers said that they expect the water to be over the spillway by tomorrow --- I honestly don't know where all the RVs will go --- there are no other campgrounds around here that are not already full.  I felt very sure that we were up here at the gatehouse and high enough to be safe --- but I'm not postivitly sure of that at this time.... Just hope so.  We have dumped 14" of rain from our gague last night - which was from 3 days  and then from 5 PM yesterday until 6:30 this morning another 7.   I do pray that Lloyd Zimmerman was not injured badly. Stay safe everyone.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Sherri

I talked to my sister (Teresa) and they have been stranded at Jeff and Lindsey Wisemans all night long.  Danny, Ashley, Derek, Mark and Teresa are out there...Rochelle and Mason are in town at their home and Teri is in Wichita.  Sis said that they water is so high...you can only see tree tops at the farm and all bridges are out...they can't get anywhere.  Derek says if if will just stop for a couple hours he thinks they can get home.  Hopefully that will be soon, but all of them are safe.
SMILE AND EVERYONE SMILES WITH YOU!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk