Main Menu

Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, June 27, 2007, 08:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Removed.

Mom70x7

Quoteeasier way to iron a shirt -- sitting down.

My sister and I used to do this, when we wanted to get out of ironing. You verrrrry carefully fold the shirt (actually blouse for us), spinkle it with a bit of water, then nest it in a towel and sit on it for awhile. We would usually read a book for about 1/2 an hour. That was just about long enough for the blouse to dry.  :D

That's about the same thing as putting a pair of slacks under a mattress for the night, isn't it?  ;)

Jo McDonald

For all the many years that I have been ironing ----that is the first time I have ever heard that one ......hahahahahahahaha   
I used to say " If they would make fabric that you could wear - wash - hang out to dry - put on and wear, I wiill never complain again.  Well -- they did  with polyister knit   and it was wonderful .....BUT I complained again, anyway --- Never satisfied.
After all these years, I finally like to iron. 
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

flo

Something I was never able to figure out.  We hung the laundry on the line to DRY, then we brought the clothes in and DAMPENED them so we could iron.  Even as you were ironing, if they got too dry, you "sprinkled" them some more. ??? ???
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

kdfrawg

I see what you're getting at, flo. It would make more sense just to skip that drying part and iron them while they're still wet! Of course, that would mean they wouldn't smell so good from being out on the line. Worse, you would miss out on the chance you got to take a break between washing and ironing, And you would have no opportunity to get used to the fact that, as soon as those clothes were dry, you were going to have to bring them in and iron them.

Teresa

Quote from: Mom70x7 on June 27, 2007, 11:40:43 PM
Quoteeasier way to iron a shirt -- sitting down.

My sister and I used to do this, when we wanted to get out of ironing. You verrrrry carefully fold the shirt (actually blouse for us), spinkle it with a bit of water, then nest it in a towel and sit on it for awhile. We would usually read a book for about 1/2 an hour. That was just about long enough for the blouse to dry.  :D

That's about the same thing as putting a pair of slacks under a mattress for the night, isn't it?  ;

BY the time you wrapped them good enough to set on without wrinkling them.. and then sat on them for 1/2 hr, you could have had the dang thing ironed and back doing whatever you wanted to do.

I don't mind ironing.. once I get started..  but it is that "getting started part " that I hate.
( I really liked it when Mama came over and I had to be gone for the weekend.
and I came home and SURPRISE!!! my ironing was all done!
Whhopppeeee... ;D

I only have Ironing in the winter...
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

I never liked ironing and my mother didn't insist on me doing it even though she taught me how.  We had electricity when I was learning, but soon moved to a farm where the electric hadn't come yet, so it was back to the old flat irons.  I think Mother had a gas iron, too.  When I married she gave me some flat irons and then when we moved to where there was electric, she gave me her electric iron.  Even with all the modern convenience, I still didn't like ironing.  However, with 4 little girls there was plenty of it.  Needless to say, they learned to do their own as soon as they could.  The 2 youngest kept the ironing board set up in one of the upstairs bedrooms so they could iron whatever they were going to wear that day.  I had gone to clothes that didn't need ironing and still prefer them.

kdfrawg

Although it may seem counterproductive in some ways, I have been working for years to mitigate my German wife's obsessive cleaning habits, learned at the knee of her German mother, who still drives her husband crazy with it. There are better things to do in life than keep absolutely everything absolutely perfect absolutely all the time. I'm a neat type myself, so between us we don't make much of a mess. We just keep things up as a habit. I am pleased to say that she no longer irons the sheets (!!!) or pretty much anything else. When I was working, I ironed my own shirts.

My lovely daughter, however, is an absolute swine.

;D

kfclark

I learned how to iron in a Junior High School Class called "Boys Survival". Then I went on a Mormon Mission to Italy and learned that if you are 19 years old and wearing a polyester suit coat all day, you can get by with only ironing the front of your shirt. Now I only iron for Sundays and have found the new wrinkle releasers a nice way to minimize ironing. My 15 year old son figured out that he could get by without ironing if he wore a sweater vest. 
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

Mom70x7

Okay - so are my sisters and I the only ones who ever cheated at ironing?  :D  :laugh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk