Good Nite All

Started by flo, June 25, 2007, 10:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonnie M.

Tobina, I'm sure that somewhere along the way I haven't paid close enough attention, but, what organization are you with, to be helping with the Bison?  And, where is the Tallgrass Prarie Preserve?  It sounds really interesting, and your pictures were very good.
Bonnie

Tobina+1

I work for AgInfoLink (Ag-Info-Link), which is a company that does "animal traceability".  Basically, we have a software program where the eletronic (radio frequency) ear tags can get scanned to and the animal's data shows up on the screen.  The data is stored in the computer software, not on the tag.  The tag is about as big as a quarter (picture below) and has a radio frequency chip in it where the 15-digit number is stored.  Ranchers use this to help speed up paperwork on their animals.  They don't have to flip through mountains of papers on a clipboard to find the animal.

Tallgrass Prairie Preserve is part of The Nature Conservancy who has preserves across the US.  Tallgrass is down North of Pawhuska, OK.  They own almost all the land North of Pawhuska to the KS state line, West of Hwy 99.  It's the largest bison herd that TNC owns.  TNC allows for tours and even just driving around on the plains to see the buffalo, actually.  They also do a lot of research on the range, too.

Most of my customers are cattle owners, but I have a pretty large group of bison customers, too.  All of Ted Turner's bison ranches use our software, and I support them on their computers.  Most of my work is from home doing customer support over the phone, but I have the occassional trip out to help work animals, or to go out and sell more software, or to train someone new how to use the software.  Our corporate office is in Longmont, CO, but we all work from home!  We also have offices in Australia, South America, Canada, and Mexico.

Wilma

That sounds so interesting.  Especially the field trips.  Would you continure to share your trips with us?  I don't get around much anymore, but sure would like to.

Diane Amberg

That sounds like one fun job...and important too.

Wilma

Seen on the Poplar Pizza sign in Andover today---"VOTED THE BEST PIZZA IN ELK COUNTY".

Diane Amberg

Not to be a smart alec, but how many pizza places are there in Elk County?

Teresa

In Elk County??
Hmmmmmm I think only one actually.
Brian Miller the owner and operator of our Poplar Pizza here started another one in Andover Ks.
Andover is almost to Wichita...
and the people there ( and I have talked to a few of them) LOVE the place.
They are just hooked on all the different kinds of things he serves and offers.
We are very very lucky to have one here.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Rudy Taylor

The people of Coffeyville are still moaning about losing their Poplar Pizza place.  It was heavily damaged by fire nearly two years ago and Brian didn't see the benefit of rebuilding, which is understandable.

It's a great place, complete with that Buffalo, N.Y. atmosphere.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Wilma

One---Poplar Pizza here in Howard.  I think they serve pizza in Longton, too and maybe Moline but Howard has the only place named Pizza.  Our Poplar Pizza opened a branch in Andover earlier this year.  Andover is about 10 miles east of Wichita and so we go through it on our way to and back.  The Poplar Pizza is on the south side of the highway.  On our way home this evening, first daughter just happened to notice what they had posted on their sign.

I was interrupted while I was typing this and Teresa got in ahead of me with some of my information but I am going to post it anyway.

Bonnie M.

Tobina, your job sounds so interesting!  How did you ever get started in doing that, and learning all you need to know in order to perform those duties?  Good for you, in doing what you do.
Bonnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk