Need some information............

Started by Teresa, June 21, 2007, 10:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

I got an e-mail from John D Apel.. and he ask me this:

Can you tell me the location and present owners of what was, in the first
half of the 1900's, the Marsh Encell Ranch northwest of Howard?

I'll tell him to keep an eye on the forum.. ( and I will also ask him to start posting..  :)  )
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

Teresa, when I worked at the co-op, there was a customer by the name of Skip Encell.  He died a few years ago. Not sure where he lived, but believe it was between here and piedmont somewhere.  Could he be a part of the family I wonder.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Marcia Moore

Marsh Arthur "Skip" Encell was born Nov. 12, 1927, the son of Charles Wood & Alice Wilma (Barnes) Encell.  He was a brother to Margaret Shelburn who lived at Howard.  (I think Shelburn was a mother-in-law to Knut Schaad, who lives in Howard.)
     M.A. "Skip" Encell was killed on Saturday, July 1, 2000, while bush hogging next to a tree row on his farm approximately 6-1/2 miles northwest of Severy.  He was fatally injured when a tree limb hit him, pinning him on his tractor.  Tim Moore, who was delivering mail on the Severy rural route on Monday, July 3, 2000, found Encell dead on his tractor and notified authorities.
     Though Skip had already bought his plot in the Piedmont Cemetery, he died intestate, and was buried in Grace Lawn Cemetery at Howard.
     Skip lived 5-1/2 miles west and two miles north of Severy. His physical address was 1075 30th Street; Severy, KS.  John Knotts purchased the property after Skip's death and has just recently sold it.

Marcia Moore

Tim said Skip Encell and his sister, Margaret Shelburn and their mother lived with the John Barnes family northwest of Howard while the children were growing up.  Ron Scott's place, northwest of Howard in Section 31, Township 28, Range 9, is the old Barnes place.  Skip Encell's mother was a sister to John Barnes, who was Lyle Barnes' dad.   

flo

Marcia, since Skip's name was Marsh, there has got to be a connection, don't you think?
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Teresa

MY gosh!
You all have done a great job in getting this information.
Thanks you so much.
I will e-mail him and make sure he checks out all you work ! :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

ddurbin

The 1920 census has Marsh Encell age 50, living with wife, Maud 46, and 8 children:  Ellenor, 22; Charley, 19; Marsh, Jr., 17; Emma, 13; John P., 11; Nellie, 10; Margaret, 7; Thomas, 5.  Residence was in Union Center township.  Families listed near them were William and Ada Harrod; Charles Johnson; Oscar and Nellie Shipman; James and May Eaglin; Mary Shipman.  Some of these listings may be incorrect as the census-taker for that area that year had terrible handwriting and couldn't spell very well either.  I'm only guessing at some of the  names hoping they're ones I've heard of over the years relating to this area.  Is anyone familiar enough with that area to know about where these families lived? 

Marcia Moore

This Marsh Encell listed in the 1920 census as the head of the household was a grandfather to Skip. 

Marcia Moore

I had forgotten that both of Skip's grandfathers had lived northwest of Howard.  Knut Schaad may know where the Marsh Encell farm was located.  If not, he should know how to get in contact with Margaret Shelburn, and she would know where it was, as it was her grandfather's place.   

Jo McDonald

What about Paul and Izola Moore --- Lynn Perkins -- Irene Keast  ????  All of them are from the Union Center District.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk