Need some information............

Started by Teresa, June 21, 2007, 10:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Lyle Barnes would probably know, too.  Also, Margaret Shelburn's granddaughter, Amanda Biering, lives at Severy.  She should know how to get in touch with Margaret.

Dee Gee

Looking through some saved newspaper clippings I found this article.

A saved clipping dated April 1931

A big deal was made the past week when Albert Criger, Sr., became the owner of the Encell Ranch, consisting of 1080 acres, located on Elk River, about eight miles west of Howard.  Two hundred acres of this ranch is of the very richest of out bottom land and nicely situated.  Mr. Criger bought the land of the Kansas City Joint Stock Land Bank, and George Webster of this city made the sale.  The purchase price was $30,000, and at that price was a real bargain.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Wilma

Now, didn't Albert Criger own land in the vicinity of  where Wayne and Irene Keast used to live?  Would that be 8 miles west of Howard?

Janet Harrington

Well, I don't think so, but it could have been.  If you go straight west of Howard, eight miles puts you clear out to Road 7 which is closer to Clear Creek then it is to Elk River.

If you go 5 miles straight, then 3 miles the way the crow flies, that puts you closer to where Bruce Eckland and Allen Cummings live.  Those are both by Elk River.

Jo McDonald

Why don't you ask Jim Criger???
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Wilma

It was Clad Criger I was thinking of. 

flo

I was born on Clad Crigers place, many moon ago.  That is just a couple miles sourth of where Marvin lives.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

frawin

It is true that Skip is buried at Howard, but he also has a grave marker in the Piedmont cemetery.  Beverly (Flock) (Peterson) Fuqua and her family had it put there, as Skip and Ralph Fuqua were good friends.

MLW

Wilma

I was right!!  I was right!!  Visited with Neva at the Register of Deeds office this morning and she had already answered the question for somebody else.  The Encell Ranch was located west of Wayne and Irene Keast, just across the river west of them.  Was owned by Clad Criger for awhile and is now owned by a Kempton.

Dale Apel

I appreciate all of the information which you have shared, as did those who attended the Marsh Encell Reunion in Wichita last weekend--not a large crowd, but grandchildren from Ohio, California and Kansas were among those attending.

Two additional questions--in what newspaper did the account of the 1931 Sale of the Encell Ranch appear?

Rumor has it that Marsh Encell Sr also operated a ranch south of Elk Falls known in the late 30's and 40's as the Mullendore Ranch, later identified as the Garvin Ranch.  Does anyone have any information on that item?

I know the location, just trying to verify if he did operate the ranch and details on dates.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk