Excuse the Geek Talk...

Started by kdfrawg, June 15, 2007, 08:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdfrawg

...but I just need to whine somewhere, and I picked here. I have been working on my Genuine Kansas Website real hard for a month or so and have built about 450 pages of content. That's just a start, really, but still it is a good start. Then sometime this evening my web host decided to change their URL forwarding code, although they didn't mention that to their users.

That may be Geek to most of you, but the result is that my shiny new Website has disappeared from the face of the earth for a while. They are "working on that" now but say it will take time, maybe a day or so, for the "URL to resolve." Mind you, the pointers used by the external world have not changed, only the ones totally under their control on their servers. And, actually, just one one single server. I am therefore duly bummed, and not a little miffed at those folks.

Maybe Kjell or another of my fellow geeks here could recommend a Web Hosting Company that is reasonably priced and does not suffer from severe recto-cranial insertion syndrome every couple of months. < sigh >

There, I feel better. Sorry you had to be involved. ;o)

>:(

Nadine

.. I hear you.  My website is down but because the company I purchased my domain from sold that part of their buisness but did not tell me.  My domain expired, resulting in  my website going down.  That was the only way I knew something was wrong.

I contacted the company (a semi local one in your area Elk County).  They could not help me.  They did not know the password to get into the domain account nor what credit card was used to purchase it (the domain company will not talk with anyone with out these security answers).

So now I have to wait probably 85 days to try and reclaim my domain.  Talk about a bummer, especially when that is how I showcase my photography.

I love technology, it is just the human aspect that always seems to mess up lol

kdfrawg

Yikes, Nadine, I feel your pain. At least my sites are now more or less back to working again. Your problem is much worse. It seems that more and more that it is all about the money and less and less about the product or service being provided. Maybe you could get Kjell to go over there in his Marshall outfit and have a talk with them!

Kjell H.

Hi,

CI Host at http://www.cihost.com/ has been a good and reliable provider for our services for the last six years.

You can get a site on a shared server for about 12 dollars a month.

Nadine,
When it comes to getting back the control of your domain name, it depends on how it was set up initially. If you are at least one of the contact persons (administrative or tech contact) there is a way to get it all solved. However, if your name is not on the domain provider's list, you just have to wait until it expires. Send me a PM with your domain name and I'll see what I can find out at this end.

Have a good weekend.
Marshal Halloway

Teresa

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

kdfrawg

Kjell is not only nice, he's right!

I just assumed that Nadine had someone else set up the domain for her and didn't get listed as a contact. I guess I got what I deserved for assuming.

Good job, Kjell!

;D

kdfrawg

And thanks for letting me know about CI, Kjell. I have three accounts at Webmasters.com. They are usually just great, but every few months they manage to do something really stupid. Every one of those seems to have an effect on my service. I'm pondering changing and will keep CI near the top of my short list.

;D

Nadine

Unfortuantely, I had someone else set-up my account before I knew anything about the web etc.  I think I am hosed until the wait.  my domain is www.nadineredd.com.

Live and learn  :)

Janet Harrington

Quote from: Nadine on June 16, 2007, 02:09:06 PM
I think I am hosed until the wait. 

Nadine,

You have no idea how long it has been since I have heard someone say, "I am hosed".  That phrase makes me feel old.

kdfrawg

Nadine -

That domain shows as currently available. For about $10, you can go get it right now for a year. If you don't know how, one of us could help you. It shows that no one is hosting it, of course, as well. Once registered, you could do whatever you wanted with it. Do you still have the pages that were on it?

There is a host sort of associated with it: parkwebwin-v02.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net. Is that someone you know of?

Nadine, wait, wait! I have more information (this is edited in). Apparently it used to be hosted at GoDaddy (yuch) by someone called KeyCreations. However, that registration expired about a month ago, on May 21, 2007. So you can certainly register it now, if you want. There is no hold on it, I don't think. The information from the whois record is as follows:

Registrant:
   KeyCreations
   107 W. First
   Udall, Kansas 67146
   United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
   Domain Name: NADINEREDD.COM
      Created on: 21-May-02
      Expires on: 21-May-07
      Last Updated on: 06-Jul-04

Administrative Contact:
      Kennedy, Nancy  keys@keycreations.com
      KeyCreations
      107 W. First
      Udall, Kansas 67146
      United States
      620-782-3131      Fax -- 620-782-3156

Technical Contact: