Elk River

Started by Janet Harrington, May 13, 2007, 09:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Today, Mother (Wilma) and I took a drive out to Union Center Township.  We drove by member Sara's home, past member CrumCowgirlMama's home, and went to the farm that Mother's parents owned which is now owned by her brother, Dale.

Anyway, while driving around, we went to the Elk River low water bridge just north of Allen Cummings farm which would be in Sec. 22 and Sec. 23 of the northeast part of the Union Center Township.

When we were growing up, Grandma Hancock used to take us to this bridge to fish.  She had permission to fish on the east side of the bridge and we were allowed to go on east to fish further down the river.

Today, while stopped on the bridge, I told Mother that the river was just beautiful today.   Looking to the west, there were two ripples and the river was running pretty good.  Mother took a picture of the river and I want to share that with you.

Jody

Good  ole' Elk River.
That is where we did most of our swimming...at the dam.  The only bad thing about it was the snakes and leeches. I would never pull them off myself, I would wait until I got home ,and run in the  house scraming for my mother to pull them off me.

Jody

Don't tell me  that I am the only one that use to swim at the dam?

Teresa

Nope!
I did...
Skipped school a few times to do it too~!;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

emptynest

Been there, too.  Used to be great fun down at that river----Is it true I am hearing talk that there is a possibility of closing the River Road? I just heard that for the first time the other day.  I haven't been down to the river in a long time, don't know if I really want to go down there after some of the stories I have heard, but I was surprised to hear that they might close the road.

Mom70x7

I went swimming there as a child. We'd come visit my grandparents and go out and picnic, then go fishing and swimming. It was a lovely time. I didn't like to fish, but all of us girls played in the water.

Why would they close River Road? I guess I'm out of the loop on those stories. (I think that's okay, sometimes, too  ;). )

Janet Harrington

Yes, they are considering it.  The landowners have talked with the commissioners about closing it.  Roland Meisch owns that part where the dam is.  It is not a public place.  It is private property.  Roland has been really nice about not complaining when people go down there.  However; I think Roland is tired of the traffic and the mess plus the liability that goes with all of that.  I believe that Randy Wiseman owns the other side.  No word from him, but it would benefit both landowners if that road was closed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk