SWEET, Jimmie Lee - b. October 26, 1938 - d. June 2, 2007

Started by Janet Harrington, June 03, 2007, 07:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

This is to let anyone who knew him that Jim Sweet from Grenola, husband of Shirley Sweet, passed away on June 2, 2007. 

That is all the info I have at the moment.

(Taken from the Independence Daily Reporter, June 4, 2007, page 2)

Jimmie Lee Sweet, 68, of Grenola, died Saturday at his home.
Cremation has taken place and a memorial service will be Wednesday t 2 p.m. at the United Methodist Church, grenola, with the Rev. Mark Lofton, officiating.

Memorials are suggested to the Grenola Senior Center or the United Methodist Church of Grenola, and they may be left with Zimmerman Funeral Home, Howard.

Mr. Sweet was born Oct. 26, 1939 in Grenola, to Floyd and Blanche (Morris) Sweet.

In 1964 he married Shirley Fisher in Grenola, and she survives.

Mr. Sweet served in the U. S. Marines in Morocco in Africa during the French Algerian War from 1959 to 1963.  He retired from the United States Postal Service in 1999 as a rural mail carrier for both Moline and the Grenola area.  He also worked for Benning and Smith Crayola in Winfield.

He and his wife were previous owners of the Bank Tellers Cafe.

Mr. Sweet was a member of the United Methodist Church, grenola, American Legion of Moline, served on the Greenfield Cemetery Board, Rural Letter Carriers Association, Boy Scout leader and was an Alcoholics Anonymous counselor.

Other survivors include two sons, Brian Sweet, Herington, Kansas, and Tom Sweet, Trimble, Mo.; two brothers, Dwaine Wweet, Blackfoot, Idaho, and John Sweet, Grenola: and five grandchildren.

Mom70x7

On the Grenola website, this was posted:

Saturday June 2, 2007:  Jim Sweet passed away following a long battle with health problems.  He was a wonderful, caring man.  He was also tremendous asset to the Grenola community and all our residents.  He had been battling Lupus, Lung Cancer and recently suffered a heart attack while in New Mexico.   Jim is survived by his lovely wife, Shirley (Fisher) Sweet and two sons, Brian and Tom.  He was a terrific uncle to me, and I admired and respected him greatly.  We love you (Uncle) Jim.  We already miss you.

Buddyboy

Jim was my scoutmaster for awhile. I echo the thoughts of him being a caring and great guy. The community lost a good one there.

Scotty

Teresa

A long time ago, I used to bowl on league with him.
He was a hoot!
Great guy!
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

emptynest

I remember meeting Jim Sweet some 20 years ago, at an AA/Al-Anon meeting that my mother, father, and myself attended weekly.  I had earlier substituted for his wife at Moline Elementary for quite a long stint when she wished to be near her husband's side during some difficult time.  Jim Sweet has experienced some extreme makeovers in his life and was a better person because of it.  I respected him, and yes, he was a hoot!  I saw and visited with Jim about 3 weeks ago and knew then he wasn't well.  What a Godly, dedicated man! May God  Richly Bless You, Jim Sweet!

sparky

I only met Jim ten years or so ago.  So I didn't know him for anywhere near as long as most of his friends.  After I met him the first time I found out later that he and Shirly had given me thumbs-up (well, half a thumb in Jim's case) as a suitable suitor to Liz, my then future wife. 

When he and Shirly came to visit us in Brazil it was great showing them around and seeing them interact with Brazilians.  One time Jim and I were sneaking cigarettes out on the balcony and talking about things.  He surprised me by saying that there was a time in his life that if I had known him them I probably wouldn't have liked him, I found this hard to believe.  I thought Jim lived up to his name pretty well, Sweet that is.  It doesn't matter how he once was, I'm thankful that I knew him when I did and that I knew him at all.

Janet Harrington

I came to know Jim Sweet when I started "hanging out" with his cousin, Jim Harrington.  Jim was one to always have a smile and was witty when I talked to him.  I always got him and his brother, "Jew", mixed up when Jew was here for Octoberfest.  Jew always announced the parade.  They were both fun.  They are both now in heaven having a good old time and probably getting other people to guess if they are Jim or Jew.  ha ha

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk