Soap Box Day Today

Started by Wilma, May 18, 2007, 08:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lookatmeknow!!

Ok, TV is a big issue at my house.  I have a 10 year old, a 5 year old, and a 2 year old.  My step father gave them an old TV of his, and I was stupid enough to buy one of those DVD players that you can take in your cars.  I do try to control the amount of TV that they watch and the shows, but now a days there is nothing truly good on TV.  I do let them watch the Discovery Channel, the Outdoor channel, and things like that.  My oldest loves to watch the show that tells about how things are made.  To me, that is educational and she does not even know that. 

I just had to add my two cents on that.  I know that I am not a perfect parent, by no means.  I do let them watch to much TV, but at the same time, they have chores to do, also.  They have to feed and water the dogs, and chickens.  They have to do dishes, help fold clothes, clean the TV room, their bedrooms, and help me keep the house clean.  They also have to help me clean at the daycare.  And do you know what my oldest, who is 10 told me, "No one else in my class has to do chores, why do I?"  I laughed at her and told her, that I wanted to teach her something in life other than how to watch TV!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

MarineMom

Quote from: angtown3 on February 08, 2008, 02:31:03 PM
  And do you know what my oldest, who is 10 told me, "No one else in my class has to do chores, why do I?"  I

when my kids told me about "No one Else" I told them the same thing my mother told me--I would call Mrs Else and see if she wanted another child. :laugh:  that one lucky kid in every classroom around the world who gets to do whatever he/she likes has had the same name since my mother was in school and probably a lot of our grandparents as well

larryJ

I was wondering not so long ago if there was a soap box thread or a pet peeve thread that I hadn't seen.  I'm glad to see there is one.  As for TV, my 3 year old grandaughter comes here two days a week.  She was never interested in what was on the TV until about three months ago.  Now she loves to watch cartoons.  And when she is here with the others of our family, I have to be careful about what is on the TV even though she doesn't appear to be watching it.  Kids her age pick up on everything.  The other day I was taking her to the church pre-school and the trash truck was in the neighborhood.  She mentioned something about the trash and I told her that papa's trash is picked up every Tuesday.  She said that her daddy takes out the trash and then, without missing a breath, she said "our house is dirty"!!  I laughed all the way to the school.  She is really precious to me.
Anyway, this is too long.  No parent is a perfect parent.  They don't have handbooks that are given out when kids are born.  You just do the best you can and pray that it will good enough. 
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Judy Harder

I am afriad if there were a handbook out there, we would all choose to become
Old Maids or just have one child and call that good.

Right now I think  that raising critters, 4-legged, was a lot easier.......
LOL,  I am laughing.....I would not trade mother hood and my 3 kids for anything.
But, I sure do feel sorry for my folks having to raise me.
None of what I am was their fault...they did the best they knew how.
And that is all any of us can say when we choose (or not) to have kids.

AOYP
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

larryJ

While I am at it, here is another question in my mind.  When I receive my monthly bills in the mail the outside of the envelope says "Go Green", which is the flavor of the month right now.  This is to get you to pay your bills online or have an automatic withdrawl from your account so as to save paper.  Why then, oh why, do they put all those advertising inserts in the envelope? ???  Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Wilma

Teresa

Sometimes ..out of meanness I put all the advertisement junk back in the envelope and send it back to them.,  :angel:
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

Especially if the return envelope is pre postage paid.

T. Sackett

I've tried that with AARP and it didn't work!   In plain ENGLISH, I told them I did not want their junk mail/trash and to take my name off of their mailing list, and mailed their junk back to them------Guess what?  I'm still getting their crap!
Honorary Member of the Old Man's 4-H Club: Hernia, Hiccups, Hemorrhoids, and Heartburn!

Wilma

I've gotten rid of some credit card offers that way.  Don't get many of those anymore.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk