DENTON, Myrtle (Spease) - b. December 10, 1876 - d. July 26, 1969

Started by kfclark, May 17, 2007, 08:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfclark

From the personal collection of Dorothy J. (Denton) Pagan, from a photo copy of a newspaper clipping presumably from the Blackwell or Ponca City, Oklahoma newspaper.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Services Tuesday at 10 For Mrs. G.W. Denton, 93

Services for Mrs. G.W. (Myrtle F.) Denton, 93, matriarch of a pioneer family of the Blackwell area, will be held Tuesday at the United Methodist Church at 10 a.m.

Mrs. Denton, one of the few remaining truly pioneers of the area, died at 6:15 a.m. in Blackwell General hospital where she had been a patient for about two weeks.  Her home was at 323 East Bridge, where she had lived since 1922.

She was born Myrtle F. Spease on Dec. 10, 1876, in Elk County, Kans., and on Jan. 8, 1895, married George Wallace Denton.  They settled here that year on the Denton home place southeast of the city.  They moved into the city in 1922.

She was a member of the United Methodist church and the Keystone Class there, the D.U.V, and for many years the Stitch and Chatter Club and the Prairie View Home Extension club.  She was also a Gold Star Mother.

Her survivors are children Mrs. Charles W. (Faye) Ellison, of Stillwater, and sons Raymond W. and William D. both of Blackwell. Her husband adn two sons, Guy V. and Aubrey J. preceded her in death.  Six grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren also survive.

Burial will be at the I.O.O.F. cemetery, Porter Funeral Home directing.

The body will lie in state from Sunday noon until 9 a.m. at the Porter residence, and the casket will not be opened at the church.
Check out my family history Website http://home.austin.rr.com/clarkdentongen/

kfclark

Here is some additional information about Myrtle (Spease) Denton that I found on the internet.

Transcribed from A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written and compiled by William E. Connelley, Secretary of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka. [Revised ed.] Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1919, c1918. 5 v. (xlviii, 2530 p., [155] leaves of plates): ill., maps (some fold.), ports.; 27 cm.

This is from a history of Columbus C. Mills a brother inlaw to Mrs. Denton.

On December 23, 1888, in Stanton County, Kansas, Mr. Mills married Mrs. Clara Whitney, a daughter of Harrison H. Spease. She was born in Shelby County, Missouri, and came to Elk County, Kansas, with her parents in 1870.
Harrison H. Spease was born in Pennsylvania, of a German father and English mother. His father was John Spease, whose sons were John, Charles, William, Harrison and there were sisters, Elizabeth, Lena and Marv Ann. Harrison Spease enlisted just before the Civil war closed and served a few months as a soldier.
Mr. Spease married Diana Shelton, and they reared eight children, of whom the following named survive: Mrs. Mills, Mrs. Lidell Bracken, of Thomas, Oklahoma. Mrs. Ella Hoppe, of Kendall, Kansas; Oscar, of Moline, Kansas; Lawrence, of Howard, Kansas; and Myrtle, wife of Wallace Denton, of Blackwell, Oklahoma.

kfclark

I was not sure what some of the organizations to which Great Grandmother Denton belonged were so I looked them up.

D.U.V. - Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War 1861-1865
Gold Star Mother - American Mothers who lost a child who was defending our country.
Stitch and Chatter Club - I found a few chapters of this on the internet but nothing that stated exactly what the members do. I presume it was a social club where the members go together for luncheons and possibly talks or instruction on current events.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk