Fall River Balcony Collapse

Started by Mom70x7, May 06, 2007, 06:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

From Channel 12 News:

One Dead in Balcony Collapse

by Chris Durden

One person has died after a balcony collapse in Elk County Saturday afternoon. A couple from Wichita was hosting a house-warming party when the deck gave way.

Officials tell us about 30 people were hurt, as many of six of them suffered critical injuries.   Some of the hurt were airlifted to Wichita hospitals for treatment.

The owner of the house was among those hurt. Witnesses think there were about 100 people at the party.

The identity of the man killed has not been released, though police tell us he's from Andale and he was 46 years old.

genealogynut

Could this have been somewhere around the Flint Oak area?

Dee Gee

Yes, this was at the Flint Oak Resort. According to the video on Channel 12 news, it was an outside balcony that fell.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Mom70x7

Channel 10 had it on the news last night, but I couldn't find any content on their web pages.

I thought they said it was just west of Flint Oak - that it was a housewarming party for a newly built house.

I also couldn't find anything on the Wichita Eagle pages.  :(

genealogynut

There will probably be a BUNCH OF LAWSUITS over that.

Janet Harrington

This property was not on Flint Oak property.  It was on Road 25 south of Quail and then on the west side of the road.

It was my understanding that the directions were west of Flint Oak Ranch on Quail to Road 25, then south over a mile to the red gate.  Turn in the drive.  Looking at a 2004 map, the land used to be Clyde Burch's or Sheila Shea's.  Who knows?  What I do know is that it was not on Flint Oak property.

emptynest

I have heard the name Shrek or Shreck mentioned as owners. Also heard that one of Liz Hedrick's girls received a broken leg and that Liz, herself, was checked out ok but had to wear a c-collar as a precaution.  What a terrible accident, but Lois, you're right---there will probably be a number of lawsuits.

Dee Gee

Sorry about the wrong information but that is what two television stations in Wichita was reporting Saturday night, but here is what is on the Wichita Eagle/Beacon web site today.

Deck collapse kills 1 at house party
BY RON SYLVESTER
The Wichita Eagle
A housewarming party turned into a deadly disaster when a balcony deck collapsed Saturday night in Elk County.

One man died and numerous others were injured when the deck at the newly constructed house of Brian and Donna Schreck collapsed, falling on the guests below and killing an Andale man, the Elk County Sheriff's Department said. The Schrecks are from Wichita.

Gerard K. "Bud" Seiler, 46, died, and there were numerous injuries, several serious, the department said. Further details weren't available Sunday.

About 85 to 100 guests were attending the party at the home located at 1765 Road 25, about five miles south of Fall River.

"The cause of the collapse has not been officially determined at this time," the Elk County sheriff said. "However, it is quite likely that the balcony was overloaded for the type of construction."

The accident happened around 5 p.m. Saturday.

More than a dozen area rescue teams responded to the accident from nearby Greenwood County, Neosho County, Neodesha, Independence and Emporia, as well as state agencies.

Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

genealogynut

Dee Gee, I don't think you need to apologize for posting what information was available to you at the time.  You were merely reporting what was given on the TV stations.  I had a similiar incident a while back by posting some false information that was printed in a newspaper several years ago.  So I have an idea of how you feel about that.  Hang in there, and keep on posting!

Wilma

I am just thankful to get the information.  It can always be straightened out later.  The information Janet had was from the scanner they have and from the TV reporter that called her because they couldn't get any information from the sheriff's office.  The newspaper account was better than what I have heard on TV and will probably be all we will get except for what Forum members hear and share, since our sheriff doesn't see fit to keep us informed.  Even if he isn't able to write a news story he should have an employee that can.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk