MOON, George W. - b. July 17, 1886 - d. March 29, 1972

Started by Dee Gee, April 29, 2007, 09:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Gee

(Howard Newspaper Clipping)

GEORGE W. MOON, FORMER HOWARD RESIDENT, DIES.

George W. (Doc) Moon 85, a former Howard resident, died Wednesday, March 29, at his home in Yucaipa, California, where he had lived the past 10 years.

He was born July 17, 1886, at Herrick, Illinios.  He married Alice Gill, December 10, 1914, and was a practicing veterinarian at the time of their marriage.

Dr. Moon served as a first lieutenant in World War I.  Following the war, he established a veterinary practice in Howard which he continued for 40 years.  He and Mrs. Moon purchased the mortuary at Howard in 1925.  Together with Ernest Gill, they were active in the Moon Funeral Home until their retirement in 1959.

Survivors include the widow, Alice, and a half-brother, Burl Moon of Herrick, Illinois.

Dr. Moon served on the city council and as mayor of Howard.  He was a 50-year-member of both the American Legion and the Masonic Lodge.  He was also a member of the United Methodist Church.

Graveside memorial services were held at 2:30p.m., Tuesday, with the Rev. Monroe Vaughn, Moline, officiating.  Military rites were conducted by the Carter-Rader Post No. 149 of the American Legion, Howard.

Spurrier Funeral Home of Howard was in charge of local arrangements.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

genealogynut

Dee Gee, I'm glad you posted his obit.  I remember the Moon Funeral Home.  I always enjoyed the huge clock that was outside, in front of the funeral home when Moon had it.  It was in front of two double windows, that are no longer there either.  I hated to see the clock disappear.  Wonder what they ever did with the clock.

Dee Gee

This Picture was included with the obit, I now have learned how to scan items and add them to the posts.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

genealogynut

Thanks for posting the picture, Dee Gee.  I think it always helps to add something to the article, if there is a picture to go with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk