SILVER FOUND IN GREENFIELD TOWNSHIP

Started by Dee Gee, May 03, 2007, 06:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Gee

Reprinted in the Howard Citizen from Jan. 3, 1877
Since the reported discovery of silver in Greenfield township, farmers and others in the vicinity of the "Flint Hills" have been making special examinations of their fences.  One farmer in particular has a half-mile of stone fence, the rock bearing the same general appearance of that taken from Hills and said to contain silver.  Compared with the estimates of the richness of the quartz already taken out, the fence referred to contains ore valued at the snug little sum of $800,000.00.  Skeptical people will probably take this statement with many grains of allowance.  But the "Flint Hills" may yet prove to have more in them than we are willing at the present writing to warrant - $800,00 fences to contary notwithstanding.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

W. Gray

Silver was found around Peru in 1873 but never panned out.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

MarineMom

Quote from: W. Gray on May 04, 2007, 04:53:09 PM
but never panned out.

Does that mean it is still there? ;D

I know I know it does not take much to amuse me :P

W. Gray

The find never amounted to anything.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk