Wyler Packing Plant Closed Down

Started by genealogynut, April 07, 2007, 09:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant-Citizen
Thursday, April 24, 1958

The Wyler Packing Plant, which has been operating in the east part of Howard for a number of years, was closed down last week and E. H. Wyler, owner, is advertising a public auction for May 16th, to dispose of the land, buildings, pens, all equipment and supplies on hand, as well as three trucks which have been used in the business.

Mr. Wyler reports that due to ill health and other complications he finds it necessary to take time for medical and surgical attention.  He plans to retain his farms and other interests here.

The company has enjoyed a good business during the past and their products were always high class and were distributed over a large territory.

genealogynut

I suspect when his wife, Josephine, divorced him, that had a large impact on the packing plant business, as I think she sued for alimony and child support.  Josephine and Ed, were Butch Wylers parents.

W. Gray

Aren't those buildings or part of them still standing?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

The Wyler packing plant building(s) is still standing in the 800 east block of Monroe Street.

I am curious why it was not located at the railroad tracks in the west part of town.

It also seems like some of the houses around there were standing in 1958 and earlier. I suppose it would be extremely difficult today to put a packing plant back in there.

The packing plant went out of business in 1958. Toots drive in was established in 1955 so it must have had the freshest hamburger in town.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk