Fall River Balcony Collapse

Started by Mom70x7, May 06, 2007, 06:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davecoinc.

Hello everyone, I'm a deck builder in wichita and I saw a part of the channel 10 report. As someone said before, I hope there is a "BUNCH OF LAWSUITS". What most people don't realize that for every 2foot square on a deck, should hold one 160 lb person. So a 10' x 20' deck should hold about 50 people before it would collapse. So the Sheriff didn't know what he was saying when he thought it was overloaded. Most law enforcement personal say the same thing when they respond to a deck collapse. The only way to really overload a properly constructed deck is to put a hot tub or a portable swimming pool on it. So I'm willing to bet that the deck was not built right. I like to study deck collapses. So if some pics become available or other info, I'd sure like to hear about it. Thanks, David

Janet Harrington

Davecoinc.,  When I watched KAKE on the report that Chris Frank gave, I could see the house and where the deck had been attached to the house.  If you get a chance to see that video, you will see that it does not appear that any siding tore loose from the house.  Talking to a contractor here in Howard, he said that it looked like the deck did not have any leg bolts? (is that the word I'm looking for)?

If the deck had been built and secured properly, it would not have pulled loose from the house.  I do know the name of the contractor that put the deck on.  I will share that with you if you want to send me an e-mail at janet_harrington@sbcglobal.net

I also know that the house was either a modular or a double-wide mobile.  It was not a house that was built on that property.  It was a house that was moved to the property and the deck attached.

Wilma

Thank you, davesoinc.  When I saw the media pictures, I thought it didn't look as if the deck was attached to the house properly.  I don't know anything about construction but I have watched a lot of TV shows about construction, etc.  Personally, I don't like being on any structure that moves or is more than 3 feet from the ground.  But then, I am an old person.

Janet Harrington

Talking to a contractor here in Howard, he said that it looked like the deck did not have any leg bolts? (is that the word I'm looking for)?

Lag bolts is the term I was looking for.

davecoinc.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to get a copy of the video from Kake. There was some problem with putting in on the web so now I have to go thru another company and try and get it that way. There may not have been enough lag bolts or you may have enough but if you put them in wrong the deck can still fall. The big question is how big the deck was. That will determine the how it was to be put together. If someone finds out what size it was that would help. Hopefully I get the video soon.

Wilma

Davie, just because this old woman doesn't know, would you tell us the proper way of attaching a deck like that one to the house?  I would really like to know.

Janet Harrington

Hey, forum,

If you want to see some beautiful decks, go to this website...

www.davecoinc.com

This is the website of one of our newest forum members.  Just click on the pictures to get before and after pics.  This website also gives you a small lesson what things to consider when having a deck built.

Wonderful website.  Thanks, davecoinc.

bowie boy

just to say that the person killed worked at the john deere dealer ship in andale, KS
''If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil'' - Larry The Cable Guy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk