Something to think about!!!

Started by Jane, May 08, 2007, 01:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

A  long read, but a reminder of thoughts that we sometimes  forget.

From  Jay Leno

The  other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across  some poll data  I found ratherhard to believe. It must be true, given the source,  right?

The  Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are  unhappy with  the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country
is unhappy with the performance of the president. In  essence,
2/3rds of  the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

So  being the knuckle-dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What are we so  unhappy about?''

Is  it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day,  7 days a week?  Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning
in  the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that  95.4 percent  of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk  into a grocery store at any time and see more food in  moments than  Darfur has seen in  the last  year?

Maybe  it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to  the Atlantic  Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move  through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels  we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

I  guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine  from around  the world is just not good enough. Or could it be that when we wreck  our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all  and even send a helicopter  to take you to the hospital?

Perhaps  you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a  home. You may  be upset with knowing that, in the unfortunate case of a fire, a  group of  trained firefighters will appear in moments and use  top-notch equipment to  extinguish the flames, thus saving you, your family and  your belongings.  Or, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs,  if a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and  a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your  family against  attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free  of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the  residents. Neighborhoods  where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

How  about the complete religious, social and political freedoms  we enjoy that  are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has  67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact  is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats  the world has  ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S., yet has a great  disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are.  The most  blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain  about what we  don't have, and what we hate about the country instead  of thanking  the good Lord we live here.

I  know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has
no  plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31  percent approval  rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the  dark days after  9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession?  Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in  the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats
safe from terrorist  attacks?

The  commander-in-chief of an all-volunteer army that is out  there defending  you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news  or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy, you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see  all the good  things and be  glad?

Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually
caused you personal pain, OR is it because the "Media" told you  he was failing  to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day?

Make  no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan  have volunteered  to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There  is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go.

They  are able to refuse to go and end up with either a  ''general'' discharge,  an ''other than honorable'' discharge, or, worst-case scenario, a  "dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the  brig.

So  why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69  percent of Americans?  Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds, it  leads, and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a  car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch  kids selling  lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets  are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized,  try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way  or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson  to write a book about  how
he  didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it  this way.......Insane!

Stop  buying the negativism you are fed every day by the media. Shut off  the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of  your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as  a country.  There is exponentially more good than bad.

We  are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank  God several
times  a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.

With  hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding,
severe  thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and  with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we  sure this is a  good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?

Jay  Leno

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk