Grade School Commencement (1938)

Started by genealogynut, April 27, 2007, 02:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
May 26, 1938

The grade school commencement exercises were held at the high school auditorium last night with a large crowd present.

PROGRAM

Processional..........................................................Grace McCoskey

Invocation............................................................Rev. Harry R. Weed

In the Time of Roses..............................................Reichardt
                             Eighth Grade Girls' Quartet

Class History..........................................................Dorothy Degarimore

Address:  "Purposeful Life".......................................Mrs. Nettie Morss

Gaiety Polka...........................................................Hartley
                             Gordon Nichols

Presentation of Diplomas..........................................Edward Crumrine

Benediction............................................................Rev. Harry R. Weed

CLASS ROLL

Maurita Hays
Socorro Moreno
George Lee Winn
Jesse Hugh Ambler
Treva Gene McLean
Joseph Frederick Rhoades
Betty Lou Mayne
Mary Ellen Ingle
Erma Marie Allen
Neoma Lee Shipman
Vivian Isabelle Batson
Helen Elizabeth Morgan
Gene L. Stephens
Gordon Lee Nichols
Juanita Ruth Heisler
Marjorie Opal Leonard
Blenda Elaine Thompson
Dorothy Jean Degarimore

Class Motto--"Enter to learn, go forth to service."

Class Colors--Green and Gold

Class Flower--Sweet Pea.

Jo McDonald

Thanks, Lois.... You are a jewel for doing all of these "Long ago" happenings.  There are a lot of names that I know from this list-- one of them, Gene Stephens married my cousin, Menzenita Houser.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

genealogynut

And you are welcome, Jo.  :angel: That is something I enjoy doing.  Didn't Gene and Menzenita have three children? Cassandra, Sandra, and Danny?  Seems like I can very vaguely remember them.....if I'm thinking of the right family.

patyrn

The children of Gene and Menzenita Stephens were Cassandra, Denise, and Danny.  Cassandra regularly attends the Howard Alumni Banquet.  Denise is deceased.

Jo McDonald

That is correct.  Menzenita's Mother -- My Aunt Maude Burch Houser was my Father Carl Workman's half sister. 
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

Lois, many thanks for the 1938 Grade School Commencement Program, I collect everything I can on my family and since this one had my brother George listed on it it was especially important. My wife and I spend time in libraries copy information from various newspapers for our genealogy research. We have spent a considerable amount of time at the Kansas Historical Center in Topeka copying family info, in the future we will pay more attention to Howard History items. I can tell you we really enjoy this forum.
Frank Winn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk