Model-T races

Started by genealogynut, April 30, 2007, 08:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

When I was in my youth, on one occasion I wanted to see the Model-T races that was taking place at the Howard fair, which was during the early 1940s, so I rode my bicycle eight miles into Howard, so that I could watch the races.

Participating in the races were Carl Cooley, who was to drive his father's (Grover Cooley) Model-T and Dave Knight.  (Carl & Grover Cooley also had their own band, but that is another story).  Dave Knight operated the coffee shop there by the theatre.

I had waited most of the afternoon, and they still had not had the race, yet, and I needed to catch a ride home with my brother, when he got off of work.  He was working for the railroad at the time, and didn't know that I was in town, so I had to leave without seeing the race.  Little did I know at the time, that my brother was watching the race from the railroad tracks that ran by the fairgrounds, on their way back in to the depot that evening.  That "knocked my hat in the crik" when I found out later!!!  He got to see those races and I didn't.

I learned later that one Model-T quit during the race, but I do not remember which one.

Don

frawin

Dave Knight, that really brings back fond memories,  was Babe Morris' (ran the theatre)  brother, and Dave married Hazel Roberts, a sister to Bill, Dallas, Zuna, Barbara and Wilbur. Dave was a Capitan in the Us Army in World War II and had lots of WWII relics, I used to go down and he would show me the collection and tell me stories about it. Dave and Hazel also ran the old M&M cafe and the Theatre (for awhile after Byron Morriss died) in fact my parents purchased the old M&M cafe from Dave and Hazel. Carl Cooley was my barber all my years in Howard, his daughter, Evelyne Ann and I started to the 1st grade together and went to school 12 years together. When I got married 43 years ago this past April 25, the morning of  the day of the wedding I went to Carl for a haircut and he asked me if I wanted a shave for my wedding and I told him no just a haircut and he said I am going to give you a free shave as a wedding present, and he did.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk