You have your own webspace available

Started by LisaT, April 16, 2007, 01:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisaT

I wasn't too sure where to post this so I'm putting it here for starters.
You may or may not know that you have webspace available to you for your use. If you have terraworld or sktc that is as dial up or dsl. I'm not sure about the others.
At any rate there are several programs for uploading pictures and webpages to your space that are free. I use smartftp. It's great. SKT has it's own uploading area that you can use if you have them.
If you have microsoft word you can make webpages easily. Just make sure when you make one to save it as a webpage and give it a name(not to complicated) If you have SKT you will name it index. That's their rules for the main page. Remember when uploading that a folder will have been created with the page name and it will say for example index_files. You will need to upload that too. It has the pictures and graphics for your page. For example if you have SKT as a host your webpage address will be-- www.sktc.net/~yoursigninname/index.htm
On terraworld it is www.terraworld.net/yoursigninname/webpagename.htm
If you have any questions email me and I'll try to answer.
As for uploading a picture just make sure the picture has a simple name. You can access it and put it on here by uploading and then when inserting image place the web address in the middle.
I know it all sounds confusing and hard but it really isn't and it's pretty fun to change the pages. If you don't believe me just look at Moline's page. LOL I find graphics and stuff all over the web and if you right click on it you can save it. You can catoragize them just make sure you put them all in one folder that you know where they are. Like My Pictures/webstuff
Anyhow I hope this helps somebody. Like I said I am happy to help you out if you need some assistance.
I forgot something very important. When using Microsoft word to create a webpage make sure you exit out of it before trying to upload or it won't go.

LisaT

Now come on people I can't believe that nobody has had a comment on this. Surely somebody has something to say about it or a question.

Janet Harrington

No one has said anything, but your info has been looked at 70 times.  How about that?  I do have one question.  Do you really spell believe like you did or do you just type sooooooooo fast that it is a typo?????????   ha ha ha ha ha

Mom70x7

Some of those "look at 70 times" have been me. Your simple instructions are still too advanced.  ;)

I can creat a web page, or at least I think I can. It looks real pretty on my screen. But I don't know what to do with it then.

Do I have to create a special file on my computer to store my pages in?

What's my next step?

Go reeeeeaaaalll slooooow for me, please.  :D

Teresa

Quote from: Janet Harrington on April 19, 2007, 11:51:09 AM
No one has said anything, but your info has been looked at 70 times.  How about that?  I do have one question.  Do you really spell believe like you did or do you just type sooooooooo fast that it is a typo?????????   ha ha ha ha ha

I will hold her .. and you can whack her real hard Lisa...  ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

LisaT

That's pretty good coming from the typo queen herself.
LOLOLOLOL

LisaT

Quote from: Mom70x7 on April 19, 2007, 02:44:46 PM
Some of those "look at 70 times" have been me. Your simple instructions are still too advanced.  ;)

I can creat a web page, or at least I think I can. It looks real pretty on my screen. But I don't know what to do with it then.

Do I have to create a special file on my computer to store my pages in?

What's my next step?

Go reeeeeaaaalll slooooow for me, please.  :D
Who is your internet provider? I save my webpage stuff in one folder with lots of other folders in it. I have one for graphics, one for backgrounds, ect... My main folder is and easy name so I can find it quickly. Webstuff. hehe

Mom70x7

My service provider is SKTC.

And I just created a folder called WebStuff (thank you very much for the name  ;)), with subfolders of Pictures and Backgrounds. What other folders will I need?

and - thanks!!

LisaT

Here is what I do. First & Foremost save and save often when making webpages.
I go around the web and save backgrounds & clipart and graphics from other sites. (right click & save) I keep them in different category folders as to what they are -backgrounds, clipart, graphics, animation ect. I keep all those in a one main folder in My Documents called webstuff. Easy to find.
To add a background color or picture to your page in Microsoft word, go to format then background, then fill effects. There you will see several tabs. If you pick picture you can then go to the folder where you have your backgrounds saved and pick one. The word art tool is pretty handy too. For SKT you have to have the mainpage named index  the other pages you make can be named anything  you want that are attached to that one, but it has to be named index
Do you have sktc? If so then you will have to put in that little squiggle before your sign on example www.sktc.net/~myname/. And you can go to www.sktmainstreet.com and at the top on the tabs click my account then Internet account. Enter your email address and your signon password. The next window has how much usage you have used and what is left. Down the left side there is manage website click that. There  you will see some directory information. Click public_HTML and that will take you to the next part. At the top there you will see upload file Click that. Another little window will pop up. Use the browse to locate your webpage you have made. Click on it and then upload file. REMEMBER you will also have a folder with the same name and then _files example- index_files. This folder has to be uploaded too.

Jo McDonald

Holie Buckets-----after reading all of that - and probably not digesting one single bit of it --I am so tired I must - repeat MUST have a power nap.
  How I envy all of you that have the SMARTS to accomplish all of this.  I may as well  just be content to enjoy all the good things that I can read about.
  But hopefully ****maybe~~~~just maybe `` someday~~~`` ???!!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk