CRISMAS, James Welch - b. Aprl 12, 1850 - d. December 11, 1939

Started by Dee Gee, April 12, 2007, 12:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Gee

(Clipping From Howard Paper)

James Welch Crismas was born in Toronto, Canada, April 12, 1850 and died at his home in Howard, Kansas, December 11, 1939, age 89 years, 8 months and 11 days.

He was married to Melissa Aul, Jue 20, 1875 at New Albany, Kansas.  To this union were born eight children - seven of whom survive: Clarence Crismas of Howard, Mabel Crismas at home, Gertrude Baumgartel, of near Howard, Myrtle Isaacs of Perry, Oklahoma, Ollie Keithley of Pleasant Hill, Missouri, Clemmie Scannel of Cherryvale, Kansas, Blanche Burres of Moline.  The oldest son Clinton Reams died October 22, 1928.  There are 28 grandchildren and 22 great-grandchildren.

Mr. Crismas moved with his parents from Canada to Cresco, Iowa, when four years old, where he lived for 18 years, then moved to Kansas with parents on April 8, 1871 and he has lived in and near Howard the rest of his life, except seven months that he lived with his family in Oklahoma in 1911.

All his children who were able to come were with him in his last illness.

He leaves to mourn his departure his wife, six daughters, one son, his grandchildren and great grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Mary Olmstead of Howard, Mrs. Ellen Linville of Muncie, Indiana, and a host of neighbors and friends.

Funeral services were held at the Moon Funeral Home, Wednesday, December 13, 1939 at 2:30 p. m., conducted by Rev. T. Stevens, pastor of the Christian church.  Burial in Grace Lawn cemetery, Howard, Kansas.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Dee Gee

The oldest son listed in this obituary as Clinton Reams Crismas is listed as Clinton Everett Crismas in all of the other clippings that I have seen.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Janet Harrington

Did you notice that he moved with his family from Canada to Cresco, Iowa?  Since we had a Cresco, Kansas, and still have the Cresco cemetery, I always wonder if we got our names for places from other states because our families lived there before.  Always has made me wonder how and where we got the names of places in Elk County.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk