Mullendore Murder Case

Started by genealogynut, April 05, 2007, 01:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

But that isn't what the public wants to hear about.  If more of us would reject the sensationalism that the media presents us, maybe the media would stick more to the facts without the embroidery.

Janet Harrington

Only those who were living at the time of anyone's murder and were there knows whether or not the authors of those kinds of books are telling the truth or not.  We did not chose to write the book.  My reason for owning a copy of the Mullendore Murder Case is because it is a book about something that happened to people that are connected to Howard, Kansas.  Elk County, Kansas.  That is my reason for having that book. 

Only those who were there when that murder happened know the true story.  Only those who investigated that murder know part of the true story.  Only the person who killed Mr. Mullendore knows the true story.  It is doubtful that the writer, whoever he was, knows what was true.  He wasn't there.  He only wrote what was told to him.  Do I think he based that book on hearsay, half-truths, and assumptions?  I don't know.  I've never talked to him.  I don't know who he is.

Do I think that what he wrote is the truth?  Don't know.  Don't care.  It is not a legal document.  It is not a law enforcement investigation.  It is not a court document.  A book does not solve crimes.  A book does not solve murders.  A book is a book.

The same thing for the Clutter murders.  Only those who were there know what really happened.  Truman Capote interviewed people for the book, but he wasn't there, so he couldn't write about the truth. 

Books about murders are sensationalized to make money.  Movies and TV stories about murders are done to make money.  That is all.

Anyone who believes that what someone writes in a book about a murder is the entire truth needs to get a life. 

I'm like my mother.  I associate the name of Mullendore with Elk County because of the ranch that my ex-father-in-law owned.  Noel Mullendore was a wonderful old attorney who worked in Elk County.  Even I am old enough to remember Noel Mullendore.  His name is still recognized here in Elk County and is well thought of even though he has been gone for several years now.

Here is an article from a newspaper in Helena, Montana, about Chub Anderson.

Kansas man's arrest in Helena renews investigation into 1970 Oklahoma killing
By The Associated Press - 07/02/06
COWETA, Okla. (AP) — Investigators hope to continue an interview of a man arrested recently in Helena, Mont., in an attempt to solve a murder case from 36 years ago.

No one has been charged in the death of millionaire rancher E.C. Mullendore III, who was beaten and fatally shot at his home near Hulah on Sept. 27, 1970.

Two Osage County investigators and former Sheriff George Wayman, who held the office at the time of Mullendore's death, interviewed former Mullendore bodyguard and ranch hand Damon ''Chub'' Anderson for four hours on June 21 after he had been arrested in Montana and returned to Kansas to face drug charges, Osage County Undersheriff Lou Ann Brown said.

The investigators hope to continue the interview in the next few weeks with Anderson, who undergoes dialysis several times a week.

''When they left there, the rapport was good,'' Brown said. ''But I don't think he closed the door.''

Anderson was arrested in Helena, Mont., in mid-June after trying to apply for Social Security using the name of a dead man. He had apparently been living in Alder, Mont.

Brown thinks current technology and forensics could aim investigators in the cold case, even though significant barriers exist.

''There is a considerable amount of evidence still available,'' she said. ''But there are some things that have been messed up since the very beginning.''

Investigators say they misplaced a bone fragment that had been found on Anderson's hat before they were able to bag and record it, and the chip — about one-third the size of a dime — was never found.

''We tried to find it and sifted that floor,'' said Rudy Briggs, the former Osage County sheriff's deputy who initially found the chip. ''I don't know where it fell off.''

Also, Mullendore's body was cleaned before investigators were able to perform a test to determine whether he had fired a weapon.

Anderson, 64, pleaded no contest to drug charges Wednesday in Chautauqua County, Kan., and is scheduled to be sentenced July 5, Brown said.

Anderson has claimed he was upstairs drawing a bath when two men entered the Mullendore residence downstairs and beat the 32-year-old rancher before shooting him between the eyes, Briggs said.

Now, wouldn't it be nice for all involved if the investigators would solve this cold case murder? 

Why has this forum talked about the Mullendore Murder Case?  Because we talk about everything.  That's what this forum is for.  And like it or not, the Mullendore's are part of Elk County.  We talk alot about Elk County history.  That's all I better say about this matter.

Let me add this much.  This murder is an unsolved murder.  I have a law enforcement background.  Naturally I am interested in this murder.  Again, do I believe what the author of that book wrote was the truth.  Not at all.  My mother put it this way, she sees the Mullendore Murder Case as something she is tired of hearing about and wishes people would let it rest.  People will not let it rest as they won't let the BTK murders rest, the Carr brothers murders rest, etc, etc.  Will I let it rest?  Not at all.  I would like to see it solved.  Am I in the position to get it solved?  No.  This murder occurred in Oklahoma, so maybe those investigators will get it solved someday.  Will it bring back Mr. Mullendore?  No, it won't, just as none of the victims of the above mentioned murders won't be able to come back.  However; their families have seen justice by getting those murderers convicted and sitting in our super maximum prison, two of which are awaiting the death penalty.

As for the bodyguard, Chubb Anderson, I have been interested in him every since he was caught and charged with the illegal firearms crimes, the marijuana crimes, threatening to kill the Chautauqua County Sheriff and family crimes, and fleeing from prosecution crimes.  He apparently pled guilty to those crimes and did not get the punishment he deserved because of his illness.  Was justice done there?  Nope.  He should be in prison.  Do I still think he is a suspect in the Mullendore case?  I really don't know.  I wasn't there.  Take anything you hear with a grain of salt.

Lastly, M Mullendore, let me give you a little bit of advice.  You have married into this family.  The Mullendore name is important to the history of Elk and Chautauqua County and on into Oklahoma.  Hold your head up high and forget about what people are saying about the Mullendores.  Be proud of who you are and raise your children to be the same way.  Follow the law. Be moral and ethical in everything that you do.  Be positive in all manners of your life.  Most of all, put your trust in Jesus Christ because He is the One who matters out of everything. 

If your children are being threatened, then pursue that by reporting it to your local law enforcement.  If they don't want to do anything, go to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation and the Attorney General.  Don't let people get away with doing things to your family.  It would be a cold day in hell before someone who has threatened my children would get away with it.  In a final word, quit being a victim of a crime that is unsolved and is almost 40 years old.

frawin

Well said Janet, and alot of what you say, no doubt comes from your knowledge and experience in law enforcemant. In another light, Noel Mullendore was a really neat person, very calm and always ready to help people. When Myrna and I were first married we lived neighbors Noel and Gertrude and I remember well when my Border Collie bit Noel. Noel came over later and knocked on the door and said "Frankie I wanted to let you know that your dog bit me and tore my Suit Pants". I immediately began apoligizing and offered to pay for the pants. Noel said no I am not here to get you to pay for my pants, I am here to keep you from getting into a lawsuit and to keep from someone getting hurt bad. Noel suggested I needed to move my dog to the country, which I reluctantly did, I took her to my Father-in-laws, where she chased of some gasoline theives and possibly others, and lived out her years. Noel told me later that he was pleased I took her out of town as he didn't want to have to defend me in a lawsuit. After, this incident Noel always stopped and visited with me if I was in the yard or on the porch, and  I we alwaysn had a chuckle about my old dog, Ginger biting him. I told him once I still felt bad he didn't let me pay for the pants, he chuckled and said that suit was worn out already.
Frank

emptynest

Very well said and some good, sound advice, Janet.   You can't do much better than by putting your trust in the Lord.  The would be keeping the main thing the main thing.

I would just say, "Right on! Janet!  Right on!

Teresa

Thank you Janet.. That was well stated.

And to see both sides of this issue is easy for all of us to do...
Not both sides of a murder case.. but to be able to see both sides of this "issue" that you have brought up in your post.

Megan, please let me say this to you with that in mind...

We as a community are interested in anything that happens in Elk County.. the good and the bad.
And we also have empathy for the pain the family's and victim's have to go through anytime something like this occurs.

But to be mad at people bringing up a subject and talking about something that happened in Elk County is not quite fair either. It happened. It will be talked about from time to time..as all things are.
That is just part of life in a small town, and I imagine it is the same in the city's too, but not in the same way.

I am sorry that you were hurt by the topic of the thread, but if all of our posts and threads were censored & limited to only those things that didn't effect anyone... there wouldn't be much to say , now would there? All issues and happenings..past and present..affects "someone, somewhere".

I'm going to keep the thread open, as I have not seen anywhere in anyone's posts that have shown disrespect or rudeness to the Mullendore family. That was not nor will it be in anyone's context of conversation where this is concerned.

We are sorry for your loss and the consequences of it.

Teresa  Cookson Heilevang

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

frawin

Teresa, it is easy to see why you are, and should continue to be the Moderator for this forum and the great group of people that belong and participate in it. We really enjoy and appreciate the forum daily.
Frank Winn

flo

besides that, if you have to censor what's posted, you and Janet probably wouldn't get to post much to each other.  ;D
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

littlelamb

wow that was intense and as a mystry buff it has peeked my intrest. and all of you i think  were very tastefull i couldnt stop reading . dont tell the boss ha ha

mary l

Teresa

Quote from: flo on July 18, 2007, 10:43:46 AM
besides that, if you have to censor what's posted, you and Janet probably wouldn't get to post much to each other.  ;D

That's right..  ;D ;D
And you all would just be bored by all the nice and good things that people say...instead of all the nasty and mean things that Ta Ta and I say to each other.. :D
.... and I would have to delete all those hateful things DLD says about me and my relaxin' pants. ..
etc etc...
Well heck fire.. there just wouldn't be anything left but sugary things for you all to read..  ;)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

and too much sugar isn't good for you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk