Photo of Grenola Football Team

Started by Janet Harrington, March 28, 2007, 09:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

I am attaching a picture of a Grenola Football Team that went undefeated.  Unfortunately, I do not have a year or what newspaper the picture came from.

I can tell you that the first guy on the left is Jim's Uncle Milburn Harrington even the they list his name as Herington.

Since it is hard to read I will print here what it says.

GRENOLA BOASTS UNDEFEATED GRID RECORD

(In writing, "You keep this, Milburn.  I saved it a long time.  You don't need to send it back.  I thought you would get a kick out of it.")

(Under the picture, the newspaper writes...)

Boasting one of the best defensive records among the high schools of the state, Grenola turned in an undefeated record this season.  The team is coaced by Alfred (Jelly) Simpson, former Southwestern football star.  Victories were scored over Cedar Vale, 26-0; Sedan, 2-0;  Elk City, 20-0; Howard, 20-6.  Ties were played with Leon, Caney, and Moline.

Back row-Herington, Sleeth, Warden, E. Foster, Canterbury, F. Lyon, Liebau.
Middle row-Hudson, H. Lyon, Brown, B. Foster, Arbuckle, Jacobs.
Front row-Thompson, Sutton, Self, Jones, Coffee (Cosfee?), Meyers, Coach Alfred (Jelly) Simpson.

The little dog sitting in front of Coach Simpson is not named.

I will be sending this to Tony Sweet to ask him to put it on the Grenola Web Page and maybe someone can give us a year when this picture was taken.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk