Annual Golf Meeting

Started by genealogynut, February 27, 2007, 08:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
January 8, 1925

The members of the Howard Golf Club held their annual meeting last night and elected the following board of directors:  Dr. R. C. Harner, Geo. L. Hubbell, Dr. Frank R. Reid, W. E. Allen, A. W. Goodwin, P. M. Thompson, W. B. Russell.

The following officers were chosen:

President,  Dr. R. C. Harner
Vice President, Geo. L. Hubbell
Secretary, Dr. Frank R. Reid
Treasurer, P. M. Thompson

The board appointed the following committee;

Greens- J. L. Courtright, Floyd C. Flory, H. A. Gilmore

Finance Committee- W. S. Barackman, P. M. Thompson, Dr. Frank R. Reid

Membership- A. F. Sims, A. W. Goodwin.

The Howard club has one of the sportiest nine-hole courses in this part of the state and has the grounds in remarkable good shape for one year's work. The grounds will be improved and put in the best possible condition as soon as the frost is out of the ground.

The membership of the club is limited but there is room for a few more members.  Anyone interested is invited to talk the matter over with any of the officers or members.

W. Gray

So, where was the golf course?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Mom70x7

The morning "gang" from Toots said the golf course was on Busby Road - cross the creek, then up about 1/4 to 1/2 a mile, on the left hand side of the road. It's covered with cedar trees now.

Think I'll go take a look later today.

Don't know how long it's not been a golf course.

Wilma

For as long as I can remember.  My husband used to tell me there used to be a golf course there.

genealogynut

Mom 70x7, how many are in your "morning gang" at Toots? I don't suppose you'd care to mention any names?  The golf course hasn't been there for probably around 65 years.

Mom70x7

Hey - I'm not even in the morning gang!  :D  :D  :D

My information comes from my Jim, who stops in there sometimes when he's finishing up the papers. I asked him last night about the golf course, he volunteered to research.  ;) So he stopped at Toots this morning.

His information came from Bob Winn and a couple other guys.

Marcia Moore

An article in the Feb. 1, 1934 Severyite tells that the golf course was located on the J.L. Johnson golf course farm, east of Howard. 

Janet Harrington

Yep.  There was a golf course there.  That property is owned by Paul and Sarah Koop's youngest son.  I can't think of his first name.  He was a teacher's aide at the high school for a couple of years, but now he does crop insurance.

Marcia Moore

I think his name is Kendall Koop.

Janet Harrington

That is correct.  It is Kendall.  I could not for the life of me think of his name and neither could Jim.  Getting old, I guess.  Jim that is.  Not me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk