Howard Library

Started by Marcia Moore, February 21, 2007, 07:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

I recently saw in the Howard newspaper where a new librarian was needed at Howard.  Who did they hire?  Have they changed the hours at all?  If so, hopefully they will be open a couple of evenings a week?

Wilma

I think I just saw on Channel 2 that there is a new librarian and new hours.  The new hours are afternoons, Mon. thru Fri.  I don't remember the times exactly.

genealogynut

I certainly hope the library is open every day.  With the 9 hours a week schedule they had, made it rather difficult for the out of town folks, to utilize the facility.  Now........if the facility just had an acceptable microfilm reader, I could have a heyday!!

Marcia Moore

I would like to see the Howard Library open three afternoons and two evenings a week, and they desperately need a decent microfilm reader.  I have a lot of things to look up and with the hours they keep and by the time I get off work, it just doesn't make since to go to the Howard library after work, as it would be impossible to accomplish much before it was time for the library to close.  Plus, it is much more convenient to be able to use a microfilm machine that copies the articles for you.  For these reasons I have found it necessary to go to the Fredonia Public Library.  They have two microfilm machines - one is pretty new - and they are open until 8 p.m. in the evening.  I would prefer to go to the Howard Library, as it is a lot closer than Fredonia.

genealogynut

It's a shame the library has all those rolls of micofilm sitting there in the drawer, with no decent microfilm reader.  With all the researching that I've done in the old Howard newspapers, it would seem more reasonable, and easier to do it in the Howard library, where all the microfilm is kept.  But the way I've been having to do it, is order the films thru the inter-library loan (I am only allowed 2 rolls at a time, and it takes from 1-3 weeks usually to get them, as they come from the Kansas State Historical Society) and view them at either Independence/Coffeyville libraries.

Marcia Moore

I have to order in the Howard microfilm at Fredonia, too, while the other Howard microfilm sits in the drawer at the Howard Library.  I can order only two rolls in at a time without having to pay postage, plus I have to wait for it to come in, then I only have one week to go view it.  The next time I plan to order in several rolls.  If the Howard Library was open even just one evening a week, I would sure take advantage of it.  There are probably others who work during the day that would like to go the the library in the evening once in a while.  Have you heard yet who the new librarian is?

Wilma

Would Saturday be a good day for the library to be open?  Since I never use the library (I have my own library for what I want) I don't know what the situation is.  Just seems to me that it isn't convenient for the people who would like to use it.

Marcia Moore

I am sure Saturdays would be nice for some, but I have to work on Saturdays.  I would also like to spend a lot of time looking at the books Millie Martin compiled, but it is my understanding that her books cannot be checked out.  I do understand why that is, but a large part of the information I am needing to finish my history book is at the Howard Library, and I can't seem to get to it.  When I take off work, I have to take the whole day off, and it doesn't make since to take a whole day off so that I can spend three hours at the library.  If the library was open in the evenings once in a while, that would be nice.  (Don't mean to be a complainer - I am just wishing things were a little different).

emptynest

I have just been given a seat on the Howard Library board and I will relay these comments to the board at the next meeting.  I think all of the suggestions have true merit.  Thank  you for mentioning them and bringing it to light.  I'll keep you informed of what I know.  As it is, the library is open every weekday from 2-5 p.m.

Janet Harrington

Ah, our emptynest will be our voice!!!!!   I agree with Marcia about the library.  I, too, have used the microfilm and that terrible reader.  I have many hours of research I would like to do to work on a book about Elk County Sheriff's, but, alas, it cannot be accomplished, YET. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk