Bird of a different feather????

Started by Wilma, February 16, 2007, 12:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

We had dove for supper Monday night -- we were blessed with a gift of doves, brought to us by Chris our park manager, his buddy and his Father.  I left them whole (of course  lol) breaded them and fried them in my cast iron skillet..real slow and they were so tender and good.  Myrna, to our way of thinking, almost anything stuffed with a little onion and jalapeno wrapped in bacon is wonderful.  I split whole jalapenos - remove most of the seeds and membrane - make a stuffing of crab meat, philly cheese, garlic, a little worchester sauce, paprika,  then dip the stuffed pepper halves in egg and cream - roll in cracker crumbs mixed with a little flour - do this procedure twice then deep fry them in oil.
  Ask our family if these are good to eat.  uuummmmmmm good!

Sorry - Teresa, I realize this should have gone in the recipe thread -- but "the old one" got carried away.
Maybe next time.   :o :o :laugh: :laugh:
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

DanCookson

Quote from: frawin on September 04, 2007, 09:16:46 AM
Teresa, Frank and I went out Saturday afternoon.  He hunts, and I go along and enjoy the outside and retrieve!  You are right, the birds haven't bunched up much yet out where we were.  Sure wish some of these in town would go to the country, though.  They love the big Live Oak trees and sure do make a terrible mess on the driveway, patio, or wherever they decide to roost.  Glad you had a good hunt.  How do you fix them?  We bone the breast out, marinate them, stuff them with a little onion, a slice of jalapeno, wrap them in bacon and cook them on the grill.  They are wonderful!!!  People who say they don't like dove eat them and rave about them!
Myrna

That recipe sounds like a home run!!!  I have a huge batch of jalapeno's in the garden and that sounds like a great place for them....Smack dab on my dove breasts

frawin

Sounds good, Jo.  We'll have to try that when we ever get unpacked!

Myrna

Diane Amberg

Jo, those sound like crab poppers to me. yum!

Wilma

I have seen 3 of the ringnecks from my window, but only one has come down to feed.  I need to stay away from the window.  I thought maybe with Russ out of town I would get more ringnecks in to feed.  There are plenty of cardinals and sparrows, a couple of chickadees and titmice and one little redbreasted woodpecker that picks up a kernel of corn and flys to a tree or roof and tucks it away for the future.  Hope he can remember where he put it.

sixdogsmom

We have redwing blackbirds, grackles, cardinals, english sparrows, white crowned sparrows, Harris' sparrows, house finches, pine siskins, a single blue jay, a woodpecker, and dozens of goldfinches at the feeders this morning. With the weather unsettled, they are really feeding today. Gonna break us for sure! No ring necks though!
Edie

Teresa

What happened to the hawk that was lurking around? ( or can you say.. :-X:)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

sixdogsmom

Apparently the sight of an old woman weilding a broom was too much for him. He has left my part of the country anyway; I hope for good!
Edie

Wilma

Robins in my front yard this morning.  They must have missed Phil's forecast.

Diane Amberg

I have some in our trees today, but not on the ground.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk