Bird of a different feather????

Started by Wilma, February 16, 2007, 12:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

This morning I had what I thought was a pigeon at my feeder, but upon studying it, I decided it was a dove.  Not the turtle dove that is common around here, but larger and yet not as big as a pigeon.  It was shades of gray with a black ring around it's neck.  Two more showed up and I tried to get a picture of them, but they got nervous when Bud wanted to see them, too.  Does anyone out there know what they might be?  I am hoping they will come back while Bud is asleep so I can try again for a picture.

indygal

Wilma, from your description, it sounds like a ring-necked turtle dove. We had a "bachelor" hanging out at our feeder almost all of last summer, and he was a beauty (although he was more of a buff-white color than gray, but still had that striking black neck band). I was sorry when the temps turned cooler because he stopped coming around. I did a bit of research (not much) and learned that the species isn't native to the area and most likely is an escapee from captivity.

Isn't it odd that you would have three of them hanging around? Do you suppose all three broke loose from the coop?? LOL

Wilma

Quite possible.  I don't have a ring neck turtle dove in any of my books.  This bird looks like a turtledove except for the size and the distinctive ring around the neck.  I can still see 2 of them in the apple tree.

I have counted 7 male cardinals this morning; a flicker and a red-bellied woodpecker besides all the little sparrows that hang around.  Some female cardinals but not as many as the males.  Also a squirrel helping itself to the corn out on the old stump.

okiemon

Probably a Euraisan Collared dove, allthough it could be an escaped ring-necked dove as indygal suggested.
Check the wing tips. Black Euraisan, brown Ring-necked dove.

Wilma

Maybe I can get another look at them tomorrow.  They hung around in the apple tree all afternoon, then disappeared.  There was an ordinary turtle dove feeding late this evening.  Those I can identify just from their shape.

Wilma

From the excellent picture posted yesterday, I have decided that they are indeed ring necked doves.  They are back this morning with friends and I have managed to take a pretty good picture of some of them.  Janet will post a picture later today so you can agree with me.  Thanks for the help.  This is first time that I have seen ring necked doves.

Janet Harrington

Okay.  Here they are and there are four, count them, four, of these ring necked doves.  They are pretty.

Wilma

I counted 8 this morning when they showed up.  There wasn't any corn out then, but there is now.  Maybe they will be back this evening.

Wilma

I have been watching a brown-headed black bird and it's pretty little brown mate in my feeder.  They are close enough that I could pet them if it weren't for the glass between us.  They are smaller than most black birds and very sleek in line and action.  Since there are just the two of them still coming in, I wonder if they will be nesting close by.  Can anyone tell me?

indygal

Wilma, I think you're describing a cowbird. We have them visiting our backyard feeder this time of year as well.

Here's a description I found on the 'Net:

"In the open grasslands of precolonial North America, the Brown-headed Cowbird's habit of depositing its eggs in the nests of other species freed it to follow the peregrinations of the bison herds. The bisons kicked up insects upon which the cowbirds fed. Still associated to some extent with large mammals, such as horses, cattle, and sheep, the Brown-headed Cowbird has now greatly expanded its range throughout the modern landscape from coast to coast."

I think I also read some time ago that the cowbird not only lays its eggs in the nests of other birds, it lets the other birds hatch the chicks and care for them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk