Long Johns

Started by genealogynut, February 13, 2007, 07:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Would anyone happen to know just how the name of "Long Johns" came about?  We can understand the "long,"  but not the "johns."  We did a quick search (all we had time for) on the internet, but didn't find what we were looking for. Thought maybe someone else might know.  Anyway, today is a good day for them!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom70x7

I subscribe to a weekly newsletter called World Wide Words - he said it's probably from a combination of WW II words and boxer John Sullivan. Here's the URL - http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-lon2.htm.

Wilma

I like that and am inclined to believe it.  I had always assumed that the term was from way back in frontier days, but this explanation makes more sense.

Ironsline

Here is what I came up with searching the internet...

According to lore, the undergarments referred to quaintly as long johns date back to 1879.

As the story goes, in a smoke-filled Boston boxing arena, the bare-knuckled brawler Big John Sullivan was a formidable force with a big mouth. The American scrapper was famous for his no-nonsense fighting style and his braggadocio. His I can "lick anybody, any time, anywhere" blustering was as famous at the time as Ali's "sting like a bee" boast.

Big John was also celebrated for duking it out in a one-piece union suit, the men's long-sleeved undergarment that buttoned up the front and had a rear hatch to save one from having to undress completely to use the washroom.

Ultimately the flannel undergarments became the boxer's trademark and as his fame grew, the union suit came to be more commonly known as long johns.

Hope this helps.

Shawn  :police:

genealogynut

Thank you very much, ladies, for looking that up for me. Now I feel much smarter. :laugh: :laugh: (Temporarily, anyway). I must say those long johns felt mighty good today, after being out in this brutal wind.  I had so many layers of clothing on, it was hard to move!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk