K-38

Started by W. Gray, March 16, 2016, 11:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

The K-38 highway mentioned in this morning's Prairie Star was a new one on me.

I did not know that K-38 ever existed and upon some research discovered that the 12-mile state highway was decommissioned in 1997. It was never paved for the entire 12 mile distance.

K-38 began five miles north of Dexter beginning at a junction with K-15 heading east and ending at a county road in Chautauqua County. That junction was about seven miles as the crow flies southwest of Grenola.

I have driven from Dexter to Winfield a number of times but I do not remember the intersection of K-38 and K-15.

The former state route is now county road 28 in both Cowley and Chautauqua counties.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Delbert

K38 enters the highway from Dexter on a curve.

W. Gray

K-38 did at one time, but it no longer exists.

The intersection of K-38 and K-15 was five miles north of Dexter and K-38 headed east for twelve miles then stopped in Chautauqua County. Almost twenty years ago, K-38 became CR-28 in both Cowley and Chautauqua County.

The lady who wrote the article in this morning's newspaper indicated that the bridge was going to be replaced by Chautauqua County. But she says the roadbed was in very bad shape when she was a child. The state probably should have done something about it back then, although the support structure in the photo looks to be in good shape.

Makes one wonder why a state route existed in that area where there were no towns, industries, or anything else. They might have had plans to extend it beyond its twelve mile length but the need never developed.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Delbert

I had heard it was to go to Independence.

W. Gray

Quote from: Delbert on March 17, 2016, 07:41:32 PM
I had heard it was to go to Independence.

I think you are on to something there. it would have been a straight shot, more or less, into Winfield from Independence and vice versa.The map below is from 1945 and is the first appearance of K-38 on a state map.

The route shown in red was in the KDOT transportation plan of 1997 showing the route that was to be abandoned from the state highway system.

As it turned out, the bridge item in the paper yesterday was not talking about the bridge replacement being on K-38 but is east about one mile from where K-38 ended in Chautauqua County. Cloverdale was about two miles to the southeast of the bridge.

Wilma

I remember being on that road one time.  We were following K-15 and instead of turning south to Dexter, we kept on east.  Several miles later I was wondering why this road was in such good shape compared to other county roads.  Then the good road ended and it was either take the not so good looking road to the north or the not any better looking road to south.  Since 160 was our destination, we turned north and to our surprise it took us into Grenola.  It makes sense that maybe at one time there were plans to extend 160 straight east to Elk City.  I would like to see the curves of 160 straightened, but not at the risk of our little towns losing.  I think there should be some way of losing the curves without losing any traffic.

redcliffsw

Haven't seen the article.

Didn't know that there is a bridge on K-38 in Chautauqua County that needed replaced.

Could it be the bridge in Cowley County on K-38 over Grouse Creek that will be replaced?

Delbert

We cross the bridge going to Winfield rather than going to Grenola.   There is another bridge 3 or so miles south that crosses Caney. 

Wilma

The article is in this week's Prairie Star.  If I remember right, that drive was a beautiful one as far as scenery is concerned.  Those hills are well worth driving through.

W. Gray

Quote from: Delbert on March 18, 2016, 08:53:03 AM
We cross the bridge going to Winfield rather than going to Grenola.   There is another bridge 3 or so miles south that crosses Caney.

The newspaper article did not mention the water body being crossed although the photo shows the water. The writer called it the Cook Bridge. It is a truss bridge similar to the old bridge at Elk Falls. This bridge is on CR 28, Ranch Road, directly east of where K-38 once ended in Chautauqua County.

Here is a picture of what I believe to be the bridge. That is the Caney River flowing underneath.

Wilma, didn't 160 have more curves in the late 40s and early 50s that were made (more or less) a little straighter? I seem to recall several 15 mph turns going into Elk Falls or Longton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk