WHERE IS EVERYBODY

Started by frawin, February 20, 2016, 09:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

My "research" is from hearing it used. I knew about the rest anyway! Like I said, when "certain people" came to Newark, and other towns around here, they were very mouthy about the use of that term. It went from calling blacks "spades," to calling a spade a spade, plus Sambo, ninnies and others.
Disgusting Bounty Hunters who were around long ago had really rotten mouths on them too. Why do you assume I couldn't possibly know about any of it?
Also, in lower Delaware, where they did have some slave holders, degrading terms were very common for a time. Thank goodness that is long gone now.
Of course you didn't have to take PA .or Delaware history. I had to take both, one in high school and one at UD.
No. I sure I don't know "all" about it but, I sure know plenty. Why does that bother you so much?
  Did you know Little Black Sambo wasn't an American kind of "negro" at all when the original book was written? He was a dark skinned Indian, from India. The White English called them blacks too.
Later illustrations and printings here depicted him as an American style negro boy. I did a research paper on the book when I was at UD. I won't bore you with why there was a course about that kind of thing. But think about it...when you learned to read, weren't all the kids illustrated in the books pale skinned blue eyed
blonds?
I remember Jim and Judy, and Spot very well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk