Looking for a syurp can with bail

Started by hhjacobs, February 04, 2007, 09:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhjacobs

Margaret Gregg is looking for a syurp can that has a bail. Do any of you have one that she could borrow?

Mom70x7

What's a bail?  ???   (showing my ignorance here)   ;)

Janet Harrington

Me, too.  Ignorant that is.  What is a bail?  Is that s syrup can with a spout or maybe a handle?

genealogynut

A bail is a sturdy wire handle on a bucket.  :angel:

Mom70x7

Thanks - but now I have more questions . . .

Does it have to be a wire handle? Can it be a wooden handle?

Are all wire handles on buckets called buckets with a bail? (i.e., is bail the name for a wire handle?)

???   ???   ???

Bail is really a new word for me.

genealogynut

I've never seen a wooden handle on a bucket. I don't believe a wooden handle would be very substantial in supporting the weight of a heavy can.   I would have to say the handle would have to be made of heavy wire.  For example.......look at the gallon paint cans......all of those have heavy wire handles, and they are called bails.  (P.S. All of us learn something new almost every day, and that is one of the reasons for this site--to learn and educate and have some fun.  :))

Wilma

Being of the same generation as Margaret, I have no trouble with the word bail as being the handle on a pail or bucket.  Using the word assumes that the handle is wire, but can include the wire handle with a wooden hand hold.  Most metal buckets had wire handles.  The wire was a heavy stiff wire that didn't bend easily.  Larger buckets had wire handles with the wooden hand hold to make it easier to carry a full bucket.  I assume the syrup bucket was a small half gallon or gallon bucket.  A very long time ago, when I was a little girl, we bought syrup and lard in buckets like these.  Then the buckets were used for other things, such as a lunch pail.  Or a small pail to carry milk home from the farmer's, to carry when picking berries, or gathering eggs, holding your fish bait.  There were lots of uses for a used syrup pail or lard bucket.

Mom70x7

I love it!!!  :D :D  8)    I learn such cool stuff here!!   :laugh:

Janet Harrington

I learn alot of stuff here, too, but I have noticed that none of us have come up with a bail for "Mayor" Gragg.  I call her "Mayor" because she was Mayor when I was sheriff.  She still calls me Sheriff.  Sorry that I don't have a bail for her.  I would love to help her.

genealogynut

Syrup cans are somewhat of a collectors item now.  If no one has one to loan, I am sure one can be found in an antique shop or flea market.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk