The Supreme Courts

Started by W. Gray, February 16, 2016, 02:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

George Washington filled the first Supreme Court with its nine justices, right?

Wrong.

George initially filled only six positions, because there were only six justices in the Supreme Court when he was President. However, he wound up appointing the most justices for a President. He appointed ten because four of the first six he appointed either died or resigned.

The number of justices on the court increased to 7 in 1806.

Increased to 9 in 1837

Increased to 10 in 1863

Shrank to 7 in 1866

Increased to 9 in 1869 and is still at that number.

However, Franklin Roosevelt wanted to pack the Supreme Court by creating fifteen justice positions, but Congress would not amend the law allowing him to do so.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, if it wasn't for you the Forum would hardly be worth looking at. We really like all, of the Howard and Elk County History you put on the Forum. In fact we rarely even look at the Forum. Keep up the Howard and Elk County History. I will dig in my Howard and Elk County Pictures files for some good pictures. Keep on Keeping on.

Wilma

I like the facts that Waldo comes up with.  I had no idea of the history of the Supreme Court.  I guess I just assumed that the country came with a complete Supreme Court in place. 

After watching the movie "The Pelican Brief" I could see how the appointing of a new member can be important.  Personally I believe that everything should be done according to the law.  A new member should be nominated as soon as possible and he should be approved or not approved according to the law, not according to who nominated him.  I think it is kind of tacky to announce that no matter whom the president nominates, he will not be approved and to make that announcement before the poor man is even pronounced dead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk