HANNA. Samuel Colman - b. August 19, 1850 - d. July 12, 1928

Started by genealogynut, February 01, 2007, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
July 19, 1928

DEATH OF SAMUEL C. HANNA

Prominent Kansan and Long-Time Resident of Elk County Dies After Long and Painful Illness

Samuel Colman Hanna, an old time resident and one of Howard's most prominent citizens, died at Wichita, Kansas, July 12th, 1928.

He was born August 19th, 1850 at Attica, Indiana.  Mr. Hanna was one of four children of Captain Barlow Hanna and Amanda Colman Hanna.

The deceased was first united in marriage with Lucy Plowman in the year 1881 and following her death in the year 1918, was later united in marriage with Ivison Scott, who together with his sister, Mary L. Hanna survive him.

He was educated at his birthplace and Ann Arbor, the University of Michigan.

In his early manhood, Mr. Hanna, in association with his brother-in-law, Charles F. Plowman journeyed to Colorado and entered upon and became interested in what afterwards proved to be the major interest of his career, namely, the breeding and raising of fine stock.

He later returned east and for a time was successfully engaged in the business of street contracting in the city of Indianapolis, Indiana.

In the year 1881, Mr. Hanna located at Howard, Kansas, since which time Howard has been his home.

Mr. Hanna was a far-sighted, keen business man and firmly believed that better types were essential to the standard and quality of both horses and cattle in Elk and surrounding counties, and therefore soon after establishing and equipping his large stock farm, adjacent to Howard he began the importation of highly bred cattle from England and Scotland, visiting these countries in person and carefully inspecting and making his selections.   He also imported pure bred horses from France and Belgium.

Perhaps no one person, through the introduction of famous sires did more to elevate the stock raising industry in this section of Kansas than did Mr. Hanna.

Mr. Hanna early became interested in the growing of alfalfa and it was through his enthusiastic efforts and his lectures at the Stgate Agricultural College and the Granges throughout the state that alfalfa was first introduced among our farmers, later becoming a staple major crop and a boon to the community.

Mr. Hanna was a practical stock raiser and farmer of the Country Gentlemaan type finding time aside from his extensive interests to take an active part in county and civic affairs.

For a number of years he was cashier of the First Natinal Bank of Howard, served as a member of the city council and as mayor and was elected and served as county commissioner and also as county treasurer of Elk County.  He was president of the Kansas Stock Breeders Association and president of the Elk County Fair Association.

"Sam" Hanna as he was best known to the people of Howard and Elk County was a forceful character, frank, and fearless in his views upon all questions, never guilty of equivocation or the dodging of an issue, in short, one of whom it may be truthfully said, "we know where he stands."

During his long and useful life in our community, Mr. Hanna made many warm friends among those who knew him best and if at times his impetuosity, fiery zeal and free expression may have occasioned a temporary breach, his friends and neighbors will never cease to cherish the memory of a kind and true friend of a man whose integrity was unimpeachable, of one whose ideals were unusually high and who was always to be found on the moral side of every ethical question, as a chaste and clean living educated gentleman, whom to know as a friend, it is a pleasure to honor.

Funeral services were conducted at 7 p.m. July 13th, 1928, at his home in Howard, Kansas, by Rev. A. R. Griggs, of the Presbyterian church, assisted by Rev. Harry Crane, pastor of the M. E. church at Smith Center, Kansas, formerly pastor of the M. E. church at Howard and a personal friend of Mr. Hanna.   The male quartet of Howard sang "Lead Kindly Light" and "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere."  The service closed with Mr. Hanna's favorite prayer, read by his long-time friend, Mrs. Arthur Goodwin.        G.K.R.

Marcia Moore

Sam Hanna was not only connected to the Howard area but also to the Fiat area.  Fiat was founded in 1882 by the Fiat Company, which was composed of the three Hughes boys – John, Porter and Nelson – also Isaiah Allen, Ansel Allen, Ed Allen, Frank Hillis and Sam Hanna – eight of the wealthiest and most honorable men of Paw Paw.  Also, Hanna's brother-in-law, Charles Plowman, was involved in starting up the town of Fiat.  Hanna owned land in the Fiat area and deeded some of the land necessary for the railroad right-of-way to the railroad company.  George Reader also deeded land for the railroad.

genealogynut

I wonder why things like that aren't mentioned in the obituary. It seems that in a number of obits, some very interesting tidbits / facts are left out.

Marcia Moore

I am guessing that Fiat was not mentioned in his obituary because he was more well known in Howard - sounds like he was a pretty prominent man there.

genealogynut

If you will go to Google and type in "S. C. Hanna"  you will find a picture of him, along with an article.

Mom70x7

Janet Harrington

S. C. Hanna
Howard, Kansas
About 1920

Hanna & Co. - S. C. Hanna, Elk County. -- In 1882 S. C. Hanna, associated with his cousin Geo. S. Hanna of Illinois under the firm name of Hanna & Co., bought a lot of Shorthorn cows from John D. Gillett, of Elkhart, Illinois. Mr. Hanna describes these as wonderful cattle but they took no pedigrees, simply using them for beef producing purposes....(omitted text is description of herd and individual cattle)

Toward the end of 1915 Mr. Hanna, who was not very rugged, felt it would be best to close up his business.  He decided to sell the herd and here is the story as he told it.  "Col. Supies of Tulsa and W. S. Fears of Broken Arrow came over and I sold them a few head.  Then John Kramer, representing Mr. Gillispie, came, and having no children to whom to leave things and not wanting Mrs. Hanna to be burdened in case of my death, I sold the rest to him in less than thirty minutes.  He took the whole lot at my own price, which was not half their value, but I did not know it at the time.  When I sold them, they were the greatest herd I ever saw."

This is the story of a great herd of Shorthorn cattle, told without any attempt to boast.  The monument of their greatness is found all over the country.  I cannot finish the story without telling something of the owner.  Mr. Hanna was born in Attica, Indiana in 1850.  When 31 years old he came to Kansas and the story of his herd is the story of his life until four years ago.  Mr. and Mrs. Hanna were childless, but they raised two children, who after being grown and educated, died.  Mrs. Hanna passed away two years ago and Mr. Hanna is living in his old home in Howard.  Recently two nieces, his nearest relatives, came to make their home with him.  When I visited him he was happy in anticipating their arrival.  No man ever identified with Shorthorn interests in Kansas is more highly respected than is Mr. Hanna.  Modest, unassuming, and thoroughly honest, he has a knowledge of affiars in general and especially of Shorthorn affairs that has given him a keen insight and unusual judgment which he has used not only to his own advantage, but also for the benefit of the entire country.

Source: Kansas Shorthorns, A History of the Breed in the State from 1857 to 1920, G. A. Laude, 1921, Kansas Shorthorn Breeders Association
Note:  This book has no other genealogical information about the subjects of the photo.

Janet Harrington

There you go.  You can all see it now.  If you will notice I made suere that I got the source on there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk