ROBERTS, Dorothy Jane (Young) - b. September 27, 1926 - d. October 20, 2015

Started by patyrn, October 29, 2015, 06:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Dorothy Jane (Young) Roberts, 89, passed away October 20, 2015.  She was born on September 27, 1926 in rural Howard, Kansas to Raymond and Ethel (Fouts) Young. 

Dorothy attended Bunker Hill Rural School and Howard High School, graduating from Howard High School in 1944.  After graduation, she attended cosmetology school in Emporia, Kansas. Upon returning to Howard, she owned and operated the Smart Set Beauty Shop for 12 years.  On November 25, 1953, she married Wilbur H. Roberts.  In 1954 they moved to Wichita, Kansas as Wilbur took employment with Boeing Company and Dorothy at Minneapolis Honeywell which she left after two years to start a family.  When she later returned to work, it was with the Boeing Company for over 30 years, 12 of which she was a manager which she held until retiring with Wilbur.

Her pride and joy were her son, Curtis I. Roberts, and her daughter, Gloria E. (Roberts) Stevenson.  She wanted to raise her children in a small town atmosphere, so in 1962 the family moved to Mulvane, Kansas where schools, community and church were smaller. 

Dorothy was a member of the Rebekah Lodge of Howard, Kansas and a baptized member of the First United Methodist Church in Howard, and later the Methodist Church in Mulvane, Kansas.  She was also a member of the Boeing Retirees Management Club.  Her activities were dancing, bowling, playing pool, traveling, gardening, fishing, camping, boating, and family gatherings, but her favorite thing to do was attend every baseball, football, basketball, and soccer game of her grandchildren.  She also push mowed her yard which was over an acre.

Dorothy is survived by her son, Curtis Roberts; her daughter, Gloria Stevenson (Mark); her sister-in-law, Barbara Roberts; her brother, Rex Young; her grandchildren, David Roberts (Katie), Nathan, Cara, Carter (Brynn), Taylor, and Carson Stevenson; her great-grandchildren, Gracelyn Marie, Dyln, Jordyn, and Jaydn Stevenson; and lots of nieces, nephews, cousins, and a host of friends.  Preceding her in death are her parents; her brother, Raymond Young; her sisters, Clara Young and Beth (Young) Olson; and her loving husband, Wilbur H. Roberts.

Funeral service was held on October 26, 2015 at the Mulvane United Methodist Church in Mulvane, Kansas.  Burial followed in the Mulvane Cemetery.  Memorials are established with the Mulvane, Kansas United Methodist Church and the Rebekah Lodge #154 in Howard, Kansas.

(taken from the Smith Family Mortuary website)

Jane

Rex and I met this lady when she was selling Arch and Opel Clarks house. She was a very nice person to talk with. I even bought a chair from her before the auction, which I still have.

frawin

So saddened to learn that Dorothy had Passed away, my Mother loved Dorothy, she fixed Moms hair every week. Her husband , Wilbur loved Horses, and he and my Brother .wes were old Horse riding buddies. After Wes left Howard I rode Horses with Wilbur and really enjoyed it. Dorothy 's son Curtis brought Dorothy to the Alumni Banquet for several years, she enjoyed seeing everyone do much. She always gave me a hug and told me she missed my Mom who was Like a second Mother to her. The last time I talked to one of the Roberts Family, they told me Dorothy was not doing well at all. I know Dorothy is with Wilbur and the rest of her family and enjoying the reunion.

frawin

I guess I had best shut up and quit hogging the Forum, have a good night all.

frawin

I couldn't resist one more post on this. In thinking about Dorothy, I realized that her brother Rex is the last one in that Generation for that family. In her Husband Wilbur's family, Barbara is the last one in that Generation and in my family my brother Bob and I are the last of our generation., we have buried 13 brothers and sisters.This growing old sure isn't for sissies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk