Even in 1917!

Started by redcliffsw, June 11, 2015, 05:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

When contractors removed blackboards at Emerson High School in Oklahoma City last week, they uncovered another set of boards–from 1917, astoundingly, with lessons still intact. The lovely penmanship, a wheel that apparently taught multiplication, and artistic renderings of Pilgrims caught most of the attention. But Mark, who forwarded me the link, noticed the inscription on the fourth board: "I give my head, my he [presumably "–art" was erased] and my life to my God"–good so far–"and One nation indivisible with justice for all."

The optimist in me hopes that the sentences weren't originally conjoined: perhaps some words after "God" suffered the same fate as "–art."

But of course 1917 was only two decades removed from Francis Bellamy, Daniel Ford,  and their poisonous "pledge" to the State. So if time preserved that blackboard accurately, we see yet again that nationalism is merely another form of idolatry. "Bow down and worship me," the State's owner once told God's Son, "and I will give you all the governments of the world."

https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/even-in-1917/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk