Elk County Court House #2

Started by W. Gray, November 27, 2014, 01:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

This is the new Elk County courthouse at about six years old (1893).

For a fire proof building, it did not hold up well as it was totally destroyed by fire.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, I have a  collection of  pictures of Howard from the late 1800s into the early 1900s. I bought them at Hottingers sale. I think I posted some of them on the Forum dome years back. I put a copy of them in the Gragg Musuem. Hottinger sold out in the early 1960s. They set up tables in the middle of the street just south of his place.

frawin

Attached are some Pictures from my Hottinger collection. These are from around 1900 + -.The Met Hotel was where Dannys Garage and the First National Bank are now, it was torn down and the Ford Garage was there for many years. The Methodist church is intyeresting to me because it was before it was raised and the Basement put in and then the whole building was bricked. We lived just down the street from it and we kids attended. Old High High was long gone when I remember.The old Post office was there when I remember. Just North of the Post office in the two buildings that were there were my Dads Grocery Store and Locker Plant. He sold the Grocery Store to George Bartlett. George shut down the store and put in a Jewelery Store. Listers took over the Locker Freezer and used it for Customers and the rest of that building was a Cafe. In thinking back, where the Met Hotel was, was Bryan Ford motor Company. The First National Bank was where the Howard National is now and the Howard National was where the old Abandoned Bank building is now at the North end of Mainstreet. I maid my first car loan there with Ralph Perkins, I borrowed a $100.00  and paid it back at the rate of $10.00 a month for 11 months.

W. Gray

Quote from: frawin on November 28, 2014, 11:02:12 AM
Attached are some Pictures from my Hottinger collection. These are from around 1900 + -.The Met Hotel was where Dannys Garage and the First National Bank are now, it was torn down and the Ford Garage was there for many years. The Methodist church is intyeresting to me because it was before it was raised and the Basement put in and then the whole building was bricked. We lived just down the street from it and we kids attended. Old High High was long gone when I remember.The old Post office was there when I remember. Just North of the Post office in the two buildings that were there were my Dads Grocery Store and Locker Plant. He sold the Grocery Store to George Bartlett. George shut down the store and put in a Jewelery Store. Listers took over the Locker Freezer and used it for Customers and the rest of that building was a Cafe.

Doug's Place or the Bear Den looks like it did back then, at least the second floor.

I am glad you posted those. I am wondering what the item is across the street from the Metropolitan. At first it looked like a street lamp and then looked like it might be street signs.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, there were no street signs there when I was growing up. I think what you see are street lights. I think they had Kerosene  buring street lights in those days.

W. Gray

Speaking of street signs, I remember when they were put up. I will guess '53 or '54, maybe a tad later?

I think it was the Lions Club that did a drive or something and came up with white street signs with black lettering.

Wilma

The street signs now are green with white lettering.  I know because I just went and looked at the one I can see from my bedroom window.

W. Gray

There was a federal act, maybe in the early 2000s, that requires uniform street signs by 2018, I think. I think it is the same act that requires all the counties to have street signs, etc. I think that act requires green with white lettering of a certain size but now that I have said that I note the city here is replacing its green signs with blue signs.

I see where Obama Administration issued guidelines in 2012 that says locals should decide about their street signs.

Maybe some of the antis on here know which law or laws I am referring to.

W. Gray

This is what I recall the original Howard street signs looking like. The Lions logo for the Howard street signs looked somewhat different and I am thinking that they did not have an "L."

redcliffsw

A federal mandate that would have made street signs across the nation easier to read, but at considerable taxpayer expense, was relaxed Tuesday as the White House sought to reduce the regulatory burden on cash-strapped city and state governments.

Read on:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/us-government-backs-off-mandate-for-new-street-signs/2011/08/30/gIQAhDNnpJ_story.html

Is it really a matter of money or does the Constitution prevent Federal sign mandates to local governments? 

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
10th Amendment
U. S. Constitution

Obama and the Republicans are much more likely to override the Constitution than to ever defend American liberty.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk