HAMILTON, Dale David - b. Dec. 9, 1918 - d. Jan. 13, 2007

Started by Janet Harrington, January 28, 2007, 05:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

The Flint Hills Express
January 24, 2007, page 4

Dale David Hamilton died Saturday, Jan. 13, 2007 at the Howard Twilight Manor in Howard.  He was 88 years of age and a long time resident of the Howard and Moline area.  Dale was born on Dec. 9, 1918 at Murray, Iowa to David Marsh and Maude Lea (Hayes) Hamilton.

He moved with his family to the Elk Falls area at an early age, where he attended Border Rural school and graduated from Elk Falls High School in 1936.  Dale owned and operated a farm in Elk County throughtout his life.  After retiring from the farm, he made his home in Howard.

Dale was a former member of the Presbyterian Church of Howard.

He is survived by several nieces and nephews.

A memorial service was held on Monday, Jan. 22, at the Zimmerman Funeral Home in Howard with Rev. Gary Parsons officiating.  Betty Russell was the pianist and there was congregational singing.  A memorial has been established with the Elk County 4-H Council.  Contributions may be left with the funeral home.  The funeral arrangments are being made with the Zimmerman Funeral Home of Howard.

Janet Harrington

Dale Hamilton was an Elk County farmer that never married, so his obit doesn't have much to say about him.  It says he had neices and nephews, but it doesn't say that he had any siblings.  Strange. 

One thing that I can tell about Dale was that he liked German Shepherd dogs.  I have always had a German Shepherd starting when I became sheriff of Elk County.  My dog, Sam, would go with me in the car whenever I would travel around the county and Dale Hamilton was always glad to see my dog.  He was never scared and would tell me how his German Shepherd dogs would ride in his truck with him, sitting right beside him and the dogs would put a paw on his leg as if to say, "I'll be here for you."  Dale loved his dogs.

Dale was a very, very nice man and I enjoyed visiting with him.  One time, when he lived at the HUD Housing, I had to go check on him because he would not answer his door.  Well, Dale was hard of hearing.  I could see Dale laying in his recliner, so I unlocked the door with the master key and woke him up.  He was so appreciative that someone cared enough to go and check on him.

Dale has a companion in Mary Jane Gibson in Severy.  They would go places together and kept each other company.  May Dale's memory be long remembered by us Elk Countians.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk