Jet crash oward

Started by Ross, October 20, 2014, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

My wife and her friend are out horse back riding and just observed a jet explode and start flying crazy and crash. I looked to the north and saw black smoke coming from the ground. There is another jet flying around but I can't see it. 

All I know is it is north of Moline, I don't know how far north.

Ross

My wife said the plane had an explosion and then started falling down to the ground.
It stayed horizontal to the ground but was spinning nose to tail.

I have been told the pilot ejected and parachuted safely and has been picked up by one of our ambulances.

The accident happened in a pasture between roads 13 and 14 near Harvest Road.

That's all I have for now.

flintauqua

KAKE is reporting the crash occurred at Harvest and Road 13, which would be about two miles north of the North Moline Lake.

KOTV 6 (Tulsa) is reporting three F-16's landing at Tulsa International after mid-air incident:

"Osage SkyNews 6 HD pilot Will Kavanagh said three Air National Guard F-16 fighter jets were on a training mission when the incident happened. He said it appears two of the F-16s collided, but the collision was minor and all three jets landed safely.

Only one of the single-engine, high-performance jets was met by emergency vehicles when it touched down. It was towed to the hangar while the other two F-16s taxied under their own power.

There have been no reports of any injuries.

The 138th Fighter Wing of the Oklahoma Air National Guard flies F-16s and is based at Tulsa International Airport. So far the wing has not commented on the incident."
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Ross

F-16 Crashes Following Midair Collision In Eastern Kansas

Posted: Mon 4:07 PM, Oct 20, 2014
By: KAKE, Nick Viviani

MOLINE, Kan. —  UPDATE: The Oklahoma Air National Guard has confirmed that two F-16 Fighting Falcons were involved in a midair collision during a training exercise southwest of Harvest, Kansas.

One of the planes crashed into a field, but the pilot was able to eject. The other plane safely returned to its base in Tulsa.

Colonel Max Moss with the Oklahoma National Guard said neither pilot was seriously injured.

Read more at http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/F-16-crashes-following-midair-collision-in-eastern-Kansas-279830852.html

W. Gray

More than a few years ago a jet fighter crashed north and close to Howard near 99.

I think it was out of McConnell in Wichita when McConnell was a TAC base.

I think it might have been an F-86.

Maybe some old timers can remember that event.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

I remember it, but none of the details except that Janet and her deputies had to guard it until the Air Force could take over.  It was east of 99.

frawin

Thanks Flint, Tulsa news kept saying it crashed near Howard, Kansas. Thankfully no one was hurt of worse, killed.

W. Gray

Hmmm, Wilma. If she was sheriff then it was more recent than I thought and an F-86 could not have been involved.

Maybe, I thought it was an F-86 when it might have been 1986.

The F-86 Sabre was obsolete by then.

When I was working at McConnell from 75-80, they were flying F-105 fighters.

I recall that when reading about it in a newspaper, the story was datelined: "HOWARD, KAS." I was impressed.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk